Why I feel like a horrible friend

Whenever a friend tells me something good has happened in their life, like they talked to some girl, found some sort of job, or are just moving forward in anyway, I can't really feel good for them. It always makes me feel shitty about myself, and how my life isn't really going anywhere, and that I don't have the same potential that they do to change. Most of my friends are somewhat shy, and a large part of me WANTS them to stay on the same level I am.

Am I like a selfish prick or what? Anyone relate?

Tab

Yes I'm jealous of any accomplishments my friends or family makes. My cousins are always bringing there girlfriends where ever we go and it makes me really pissed off, its like they can't do anything without them.

I can definitely relate. When I see good things happening for people it makes me feel worse about myself. It's like "oh great, never gonna happen for me."

hobo10

Whenever a friend tells me something good has happened in their life, like they talked to some girl, found some sort of job, or are just moving forward in anyway, I can't really feel good for them. It always makes me feel shitty about myself, and how my life isn't really going anywhere, and that I don't have the same potential that they do to change. Most of my friends are somewhat shy, and a large part of me WANTS them to stay on the same level I am.

I totally understand where you are comming from! I feel the same way. Good things happening to other people just makes me feel horrible about my own life. Especially in the job aspect. They all know what they want and I am going nowhere!

roseycheeks

hey day tripper,
im exactly the same and i hate it! :(
even when someone i really care about has progressed in their life somehow, i try to be happy for them but deep down there's always this sickening, jealous fear of them doing better than i.

i just cant stop with all the social comparisons though.

Glad I'm not alone.

It's like I selfishly want us both to stay in a crappy life situation so we're in it together. So I wonder, do I deserve friends if I just care about how they make me feel about myself?