Why do people think that way?

dannyboy65

I have autism, so a lot of things confuse me like feelings or body language. I also have trouble doing simple chores and such. Well I did a lot of research this past year on autism. I joined an autism foundation and was assigned a life coach to help me learn. I made a lot of new friends too. I asked them about their history and all of them said the same thing they were bullied. Me and my best friend have autism and our whole school life we were bullied in every way. So I went to search on my own initiative what people who have no experience with autism think of it. What I found was a bunch of people calling people like me or all my friends "retarded". I put one link below but I'm just reading them through more and I just don't understand why people have a problem with someone like me.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130121214002AA6tf1F

I think Autism is a disorder that's widely misunderstood, much like anxiety and depression, if not even more so.

Unfortunately, that means people have gross misconceptions and, as a result of this, are rather ignorant regarding the disorder.

I'd urge you to avoid sites like Yahoo answers. It's a site that's generally full of trolls and answers are often absurd. They often are just exaggerated.

Confusion regarding social cues, from what I remember, is pretty common with autism. I have met individuals with Autism who I never would have guessed have the disorder.

m sorry that you've encountered so many ignorant people. Of course, we need to change that with proper education to help eradicate the ignorance. Good on you for working with the life coach and the organization and working on areas of weakness. If everyone did that, I think we would all be better off.

Best wishes, and keep on keepin' on.

Lilly789

I don't think people have a particular problem with "people like you", or anything else.

They are simply human. It is human nature to pick on things that are different - from skin colour, to personality, to socio-economic circumstances, hair colour, clothing, to illness.

The need to do this is, literally, millions of years old and it goes back to survival of the fittest. Those humans able to distinguish differences and relinquish competitors (easiest to do to those with differences that make them a small minority) enabled their survival, and to a point, still does.

The only time it changes is when a "difference" becomes socially accepted as "normal". That is, not just having people repetitively screaming that it is normal, or that we must accept it as normal, but that it becomes so normal its not really noticed any more.

and that can take anything from many decades to hundreds of years.

Meanwhile all you can do is individually educate each person you meet. Or accept they have faults too. Either way try not to take it too personally - its really a bigger issue than that, you just happen to be stuck in the middle.

Last edited:

dannyboy65

I think Autism is a disorder that's widely misunderstood, much like anxiety and depression, if not even more so.

Unfortunately, that means people have gross misconceptions and, as a result of this, are rather ignorant regarding the disorder.

I'd urge you to avoid sites like Yahoo answers. It's a site that's generally full of trolls and answers are often absurd. They often are just exaggerated.

Confusion regarding social cues, from what I remember, is pretty common with autism. I have met individuals with Autism who I never would have guessed have the disorder.

m sorry that you've encountered so many ignorant people. Of course, we need to change that with proper education to help eradicate the ignorance. Good on you for working with the life coach and the organization and working on areas of weakness. If everyone did that, I think we would all be better off.

Best wishes, and keep on keepin' on.

It is misunderstood, this year I wrote a paper on the benefits of autism and how people can actually benefit from it. I shown it to an autism expert and they want me to present it to a crowd of people, and hopefully change some people's minds.

It is misunderstood, this year I wrote a paper on the benefits of autism and how people can actually benefit from it. I shown it to an autism expert and they want me to present it to a crowd of people, and hopefully change some people's minds.

That's great. Congratulations! I think, as Lily said, people just pick on and notice things that are different. It is terrible, but we have to just try to break down those barriers. I hope that you do decide to read your paper if given the opportunity, as I think that honest words can definitely break down some of those walls.