Why do people laugh at others?

There is this girl I hang out with sometimes and she tends to laugh at me a lot. I don't understand why. I don't try to be funny. I feel she laughs at my expense sometimes. I got startled when came in the door and she laughed at me. It wasn't supposed to be amusing. It seems like she is making fun of me as well. It's really hard to hang out who doesn't take me seriously. I'm not hanging out with her as much so I think that's the way to go. Any thoughts?

NamiraWilhelm

Because we're horrid primitive beings still deep in the pack mentality :D

That would piss anyone off... you know what I'm going to say. You'll have to have it out with her, even if you don't get a clear answer, her reaction will be telling enough.
If you're intending on hanging out with her less anyway, you've not lost out on anything. Seriously, go for it. Polite but clear. It may well be that she's just a bit of a giggler, but it'll continue to annoy you if you don't find out what's going on.

Sacrament

Could simply be a matter of you two having different senses of humor. She wasn't laughing at you (in the sense that you make fun of someone), she was simply laughing at the fact that she startled you. Learn to laugh at yourself and maybe you'll see the humor in it as well.

Also, if it bothers you so much, just tell her how you feel.