Who else... (another embarassing SA trait of mine)

Siren

You get to that point where you're talking to someone, and then you say something stupid that needs more explanation to be okay. Now, you know the exact thing to say to make whatever you said understandable, but for some reason, you cannot get yourself to say it.

Instead, you leave whoever you were talking to in a confused state, thinking you are insane.

I hate it when this happens. :(

silentbutdeadly

Oh my god, the same EXACT thing happens to me! I'd describe it as a really weird mental block. I wish I had more to say about it, but like you I don't understand why it happens at all. It's just another bullshit thing we have to put up with, I guess... It's great to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, though.

Actually I bet there are probably doctors out there who have researched social anxiety/phobia and know why we do it. Now that I think about it, I bet it has something to do with self-confidence and, maybe, sub-consciously thinking that whatever we say will be just as stupid as the first thing we said...:?:

Fairy001

Better to say nothing and have people think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I think (am not sure) that Denis Thatcher said this, although I may be confused and it was Prince Philip!

Prime example of looking better had I kept my mouth shut! :lol:

Peace xxx

LadyR8

This happens to me too... That's one of the reasons why I prefer not to say anything. Then they ask "why are you always so quiet??" :roll:

That happens to me too. I say it's hyperventilation

breathing faster and/or deeper than necessary, thereby reducing the carbon dioxide concentration of the blood below normal. Resulting in confusion, exhaustion, and a whole number of different effects.