which medication works best?????

embo

hi every one

has any one had any great sucess with a medication???

I'm usually on citalopram (cipramil) but wondering whether to ask my doc to change to maybe Parnate (trancylpromine). or i saw another one that is actually recommended for sa - moclobemide.

Citalopram usually works well but wondering if theres anything better. I know we are all different and what works for one may not work for anothre but thought i would ask.

xxxxxxxxx

shield

i don't know what ACT is. Medications are good man I am speaking from experience. But you have to use them in conjunction with CBT ootherwise it's useless. I think Effexor is the best so far but I'm going to try Wellbutrin soon which may/may not be better.

Flaming_Badger

If you use medication then you never overcome your problems, you simply mask them. It is not a solution.

One exception though, when our thoughts turn to the darkest things and depression hits its most extreme, I always wish I could just have a pill to take to drag me out of it. I always feel I don't have the strength to carry on myself, but then again I always manage to ride out the storm and come through the other side. I'm sure its character building or something... :?

villacjs

Parnate is a MAOI, which is a very strong medication that requires a special diet because of serious drug and food interactions, in case you didn't know. I have taken Lexapro which is an updated version of Citalopram and it worked okay for SA/SP. I would think you should have a go with Paxil, or whatever it is called in the UK. I'm now on 150mg of Effexor-XR (going to 300mg when I see the doctor next) and it is slightly better than Lexapro for SA/SP.

Liz17

We are all different, but I find medication pointless. They never solve anything.

NubCake

Medication is like slapping duct tape on a tire with a hole in it. It will work for a bit, but then it will eventually wear out. Try CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy). It works the same way as medication, but it stays forever.

chris420

I do think medication masks yr problems so you might not be clear-headed enough to access the root of what's wrong. It's a band-aid. Personally I can't stand the idea of taking something to alter the way my brain works, in unknown ways.

My advice would be try a course of CBT/mindfulness, and stick to it. If you have the option of seeing a therapist this is even better.