When has the world lost all empathy? (About Britney Spears)

freak

I know that there are people that everyone loves to make fun of, it just fits with them so well, that noone thinks of them as human beings, theyre just emotionless fun bags, created to entertain the rest of us.

Im talking about Britney Spears, i have this awful awful habit of empathising with everyone, trying to feel how they feel, when they do what they do, you know. Cos we are not all that different!

Im not a fan of her or anything, in fact i didnt even like her. But with the events about her, i realised how cruel the world is, what have we become? Everyone is making fun of her, they even made her bald dolls, lol, named Britney Shears. Since when do we have fun over other peoples grief? When did we lose caring for human beings? I just cannot believe all these stuff.

I may be a bit too late to post this stuff since the craze is over now, shes out of rehab, and seems to be doing fine(!). I dont wanna look like a stupid fan, its not cos she is Britney, she is a human being, it could be you, or someone you love.

Watch this if youre interested, a video of her talking to the camera, about how "nice" the world has been to her.

http://x17online.com/celebrities/britney_spears/britney_talks_x17_xclusive_its_my_time.php#comments

pinkputter

lol britneys weird but if i had an oppurtunity to interact with her i definitely wouldnt be like those ladies that say "you need to see jesus" and try to make her feel bad.

she def. has issues. ive found so many interviews on youtube of her just crying out for help while at the same time being a control freak like "WELL I WILL find a way..."

i feel bad for her in a way, but i dont think her anger at US weekly is legit, because you know its just adding more attention to herself, which inevitably means more profit for her. Being a celeb, you have to be ready to live knowing youll be in those magazines. I dont feel sorry for her in that aspect.

but what i do feel sorry is that i can just imagine her dealing with people day to day treating her like crap, etc.

I definitely don't like the victim mentality though. If she doesnt like the lifestyle, get out of it... move to canada... and if you dont wanna give it up then quit complaining about it

wow i never thought id have so much to say about britney spears

koyaanisqatsi

Re: When has the world lost all empathy? (About Britney Spea

You have a very good point. As SPics, we imagine that no one has any empathy for us. I ask, where is the empathy or even fairness for us regular people...not just us SPics? A washed-up soccer star (David Beckham) gets a $250 million (1/4 of a billion $) contract for 5 years playing in the American soccer league. Beckham can just kick back and watch the money from his contract and much, much more $ from endorsements roll in. Neither Beckham nor Spears (a millionaire many times over) will never have to work again, not that she ever worked. I mention those two because they are well-known examples. It's not just the $. It's American values where are and what are our values??????? Beckham will do nothing for soccer in the U.S.{we have already bought a soccer superstar, Pele in 1974, perhaps the best soccer player the game has ever known) and Spears has done nothing for the music industry. Ya' know. I thought I could empathize with Spears, but I just can't. By age 23, I'd worked harder to get where I was than she will in a lifetime.

She was the butt of many jokes on the late-night talk shows in the U.S. But Craig Ferguson said "enough". He would longer joke about child "stars" at all. This was several months ago and he has stuck to his promise...and not just with Spears. At that time, he flatly said that Spears, at 23 yo I think, was just a baby. And he was right. Spears just wasn't prepared to live life as an adult with adult responsilities and had no idea what she was doing. Ferguson could empathize with her (I'm not sure that "empathize" is the right word here) because he had problems with alcohol when he was younger himself. Ferguson quite drinking in the same year that I did. Ferguson was upset about all the jokes about Spears and other vulnerable young "stars" because they were so vulnerable, not a battle hardened old pro like Madonna or whoever.

Spears was successful because she was "cute", a well-packaged product but with no real talent. It all came so easy for her. From now on, she will be facing some of the harsh realities of life, just as the rest of us do already, everyday. When Beckham fails to attract much attention to soccer in the U.S. [he's already relying on the solely on the good looks of himself and his wife "Posh"--what a pretentious name.], and when Spears loses her looks and the world realizes she has no talent, both will fail. But you and I will pay a lot of $ for watching them do so. Music, movie, TV and athletic royalty in the U.S. No, I just can't empathize with them. Life poops on us all, and for some of us, does so for our entire lives it seems.

All Spears really had to do was avoid being a public drunk and take care of her children. She _made_ herself a target. There are dozens of super-stars out there who just manage to fly beneath the radar instead of making complete fools of themselves in public.

I get no joy from their self-destruction. But I can't empathize either. All I can do is maintain my anonymity for which I get only some degree of comfort and am not paid. I'll be content with what I have.

freak said:
I know that there are people that everyone loves to make fun of, it just fits with them so well, that noone thinks of them as human beings, theyre just emotionless fun bags, created to entertain the rest of us.

Im talking about Britney Spears, i have this awful awful habit of empathising with everyone, trying to feel how they feel, when they do what they do, you know. Cos we are not all that different!

Im not a fan of her or anything, in fact i didnt even like her. But with the events about her, i realised how cruel the world is, what have we become? Everyone is making fun of her, they even made her bald dolls, lol, named Britney Shears. Since when do we have fun over other peoples grief? When did we lose caring for human beings? I just cannot believe all these stuff.

I may be a bit too late to post this stuff since the craze is over now, shes out of rehab, and seems to be doing fine(!). I dont wanna look like a stupid fan, its not cos she is Britney, she is a human being, it could be you, or someone you love.

Watch this if youre interested, a video of her talking to the camera, about how "nice" the world has been to her.

http://x17online.com/celebrities/britney_spears/britney_talks_x17_xclusive_its_my_time.php#comments

Fighter86

I love to read tabloids, how horrible I know! :) I would read them more often if they weren't so expensive.

But back to the topic... I do feel quite sorry for Britney Spears, it seems the magazines never say anything nice about her, and at times, it seems she's also criticized unjustly.

Although I'm not a very compassionate person (its another long story why I'm not), I can emphatise with her because well yes, she has done wrong things, but it seems every wrong thing is magnified into big proportions. But more importantly, she appears to be in a genuine trouble and unable to get herself out of it. And strange as it sounds, I think she should be given credit for having given birth to her children when she could have simply aborted them since they were unplanned pregnancies. She could have put herself first and not have to go though the trouble of giving birth to them and continue 'living it up' with her partying ways. Granted, she's still out partying with kids when she should be at home looking after them, but I think her partying ways are a disguise for her problems. I used to had a friend's friend who was the good girl, but unfortunately, she fall pregnant at a young age and after giving birth and being unable to cope with the stress of being an unwed young single mom and constant quarrellings with the father's child, she became quite the wild party girl she never was. I'm just saying this to show sometimes when we are put in overwhelming situations where we have no way to cope, we do the most inappropriate things and make the situation worse.

I have lesser sympathy for celebrities who seem to be able to get themselves out of the mess they are in but just seem uninterested.

sar_sarz

if you cant empathise with britney how can you like yourself? im sure theres a lot of you as fucked up (mentally ill) as she is!
Except its not been played out in newspapers etc......

if ur just jelous ur not a millionaire thats pretty sad...
this woman is ill regardless of money and fame!
btw POSH is a nickname from when she was in the spice girls and the media invented the name....!!!

sar_sarz said:
if you cant empathise with britney how can you like yourself?
I don't see the correlation. I have no empathy for her and I like myself fine. I just don't have much empathy in general though. Either too little or too much anyways.

phoenix1

I think a lack of empathy for a person like Britney spears stems from a society that desires fame and wealth above all else and connects those two pursuits with happiness.

Many of us look at someone like Britney and see how rich and famous she is and just can't understand why she's so messed up ...when she has 'everything'. We say to ourselves...oh if I had that much money and fame, I would be better..I would happier..I would be able to do anything to get better. That's a complete lie. We adapt to whatever life they have after just a short period. If that life has money and fame already in it...all it does is make it that much more difficult to be happier. We, as humans, are ALWAYS looking for something more. What we have has nothing to do with our happniess or out mental stability (beyond our very basic needs). I would go so far as to say that its alot easier to be happy if you are poor and have very little.

rado31

phoenix1,

there is a study on people living on one island located south from usa, threatening democracy with their tobacco industry , but i dont want to be boring again :)

I dont know if people are always looking for something new, and especially i m not sure if that what they are looking for is good or not.
I often ask myself is human being born based on a "tabula rasa" theory , or we have some predefined identity . If tabula rasa is valid, than the whole humanity could be lobotomized in certain directions, i guess.
I deeply think that in this moment we, as a human specie are on a totaly wrong track. Or i m not human Lol

phoenix1

Well I think our identity is defined by what people tell us what we should value the most. If we are in tribal community, that might be hunting, food, family and land. In our society, it tends to be money and sometimes fame.

I think we are programmed to keep looking for something more. Its the nature of not just humans either. Its no fluke that we've surived millions of years of evolution to get where we are. We are programmed to strive for what we desire or want. When we get what we want. We are temporarily happy, but then you stabalize to that new life and we desire the next best thing. The only real time we arn't searching for something more is if we are depressed or sad. In that case we are accepting that we have lost something. Which then stablizes us again and actually makes it easier to strive for what you want.

I think the saddest part is if you really think about it, happiness is the biggest lie of all, because it really is an illusion. Despite the fairy tales, happiness is never actually achieveable. It's a temporary high and after we stabalize (which always happens), we eventually cannot get any more happiness out of it until we find something more.

I mean think about it. If you could retire on some beautiful tropical island with everything you ever wanted. You would be happy for a couple weeks..maybe a month or two if you are lucky? then you would be shit bored and wanting to find something more. The problem is you wouldnt be able to go back to your old life...because you've stabalized to this new life...and what more can you find if that is all you value? That's the kind of problem people like britney spears or owen wilson or all those other messed up celebrities find themselves in.

I think it's a jealousy thing. Think about it. Once anything becomes popular enough, it automatically becomes OK to make fun of it.

The US is kind of the superpower in the world right now. So people from other parts of the world make fun of it. I'm from Canada so I know it's a natural thing for Canadians to look down on the US. (pun lol) We do that althoguh there's no real reason for this, Canada isn't really better than USA.

Because Microsoft is such a giant in IT, Every computer geek tend to make fun of Microsoft and Windows.. Even though they're not nearly that bad. E.g. I think Windows XP and Vista is actually better any Linux / Unix distributions for home use.

And I'm sure you all know from browsing the net that it's completely ok to make fun of George Bush.

So it's not that surprising people had no empathy for Spears. I guess another reason is that once you become popular, the public don't perceive you as a person any more. You become an icon that lacks human weakness. 'cause after all how can you be so popular and brilliant and still have weaknesses right? And that puts you at a vulnerable spot if you make just one bad move

rado31

Income, profit , and gathering resources is what aims of human kind today is (great majority). So on the intellectual ladder , human being is very similar to a hampster. Profit is no way for making someone happier.
Or if it is - i dont care much for that individuals. Profit mustnt dictates some important areas: Science, education, health care (!). In this moment in time men must ultimatively forget about consumer market society , simply because we are running out of resources.

Computers shouldnt last 1 year , it is nonsense. Think, about it, Scrabbl. You buy brand new pc , new application software , learn it ,- And that such perfid system contolled by profit-makers tell you to drop it of (!), and to buy something new. All that in the situation where there are less and less resources every day.

Jealosy? Who can be jelaous of Britney Spears? And i never thought that i'll defend programmers, but windows sucks very much. I know basis of making one decent OS , and i can really tell you that this thing suck.

sar_sarz

EtherealCreature said:
sar_sarz said:
I don't see the correlation. I have no empathy for her and I like myself fine. I just don't have much empathy in general though. Either too little or too much anyways.
It makes sense in my head but not so much in text!
Can you not because she is rich and famous?
I can put myself in her position, she is clearly mentally troubled with little or no support in her life and i feel that, i dont look at the other factors.

i just kinda feel if u cant empathise with people you are cold and unfeeling and hence you wouldnt like yourself much.
not saying your a not a nice person its just what i conjure up in my mind when i think of a a person with out empathy.

winnipegjets

rado31 said:
Income, profit , and gathering resources is what aims of human kind today is (great majority). So on the intellectual ladder , human being is very similar to a hampster. Profit is no way for making someone happier.
Or if it is - i dont care much for that individuals. Profit mustnt dictates some important areas: Science, education, health care (!). In this moment in time men must ultimatively forget about consumer market society , simply because we are running out of resources.

Computers shouldnt last 1 year , it is nonsense. Think, about it, Scrabbl. You buy brand new pc , new application software , learn it ,- And that such perfid system contolled by profit-makers tell you to drop it of (!), and to buy something new. All that in the situation where there are less and less resources every day.

Jealosy? Who can be jelaous of Britney Spears? And i never thought that i'll defend programmers, but windows sucks very much. I know basis of making one decent OS , and i can really tell you that this thing suck.

Is that what you tell your many girlfriends to get "in the mood"? :p

sar_sarz said:
EtherealCreature said:
sar_sarz said:
It makes sense in my head but not so much in text!
Can you not because she is rich and famous?
I can put myself in her position, she is clearly mentally troubled with little or no support in her life and i feel that, i dont look at the other factors.

i just kinda feel if u cant empathise with people you are cold and unfeeling and hence you wouldnt like yourself much.
not saying your a not a nice person its just what i conjure up in my mind when i think of a a person with out empathy.

I don't follow the tabloids. What's so horrible in her life that is so important that I feel empathy for? I'm being serious, I have no idea.