What to do?

Marty

I am very shy with people outside that are not my family. When around people that is not my family I get very tense in the head back shoulders and get twitches in muscles. The tension is worse when I am sitting down. Because of this it is really hard to concentrate. I find when I try to concentrate around people it gets worse this could be some OCD because I get this at home to. When in groups of large people tension gets worse. If I try to keep head upright and still gets worse and head feels like going to spin out inside my head. At home I am not as tense and it’s bearable.

Ok I make a list because hard to explain. These Symptoms when outside around people when sitting.

Feel tense in head.
Hands get sweaty.
Will avoid doing things to be noticed.
Very hard to concentrate with tension in head.
Twitches in muscles.
Will try as hard possible not to make symptoms not noticed.
Get panicy if symptoms start geting to bad.
Harder to talk when tense up.
Reluctent to go outside of house if cloths I am wearing people will notice.
Will not play good at sport because think people will notice.
Reluctent to go for ball in sport.
Give up and set self up to fail and not win in sport.
Loss of motovation in life beucase cannot concentrate around people or play good at sport.
Think people will notice me as being different becuase of cloths wearing.
Will no talk to people about things even if its important.

The getting tense in my head when out side around people really annoys me. I have tried Zoloft but anxiety got worse at home and did not want to go outside even more.

Loopy_Lil

Nice to meet you Marty :)

I don't know if I can help much

I do get panicky in social situations and don't talk to people much I'm too scared I'll say the wrong thing

But hopefully someone on here can help

Loopy_Lil

annie

Hi Marty,

Welcome :)

You certainly do suffer from anxiety, you have all the symptoms. The fact that you don't want to go outside the house now seems like your disorder is becoming severe as you might become agoraphobic, so please try and beat IT. Try and venture out of the house even just for short walks etc.
You said that you were taking Zoloft. How long ago was this? Because I know with any anti-depressants your anxiety increases when going on anti/deps for a while until they kick in.

What part of Australia are you from?
There is an Australian Message Board that I use alot. Feel free to check it out:- www.adavic.org go to the Message Board section

Take care

annie :)

Marty

I am really scared of going back on anidepressents after the side effects I had. And I have heard that you have to tapper off them?

blubs

Hi Marty
I get some of the things you described.
I get very tense when I'm anxious, which usually means if I am in a group of people, and my muscles tense up and (if its very bad) I get a twitch in the muscles in the back of my neck and my shoulders.
I don't know how to prevent it yet......except that I think I probably have to understand my anxiety and deal with that...and hopefully these physical symptoms will get better then.

blubs

Hi again!
One of the things you said that sounds really familiar to me is that you panic when things get bad....and you get more tense as you worry that people will notice. That is what happens to me...I start off ok, then get nervous and then panic that I will twitch in front of people. I become more and more panicked as I try to control my nervous behaviour.

I was wondering if anyone else feels like this, and if they do have they ever dealt with it in an alternative way?
Like, for example....I watched a program about Turrett's syndrome once...which is where people shout stuff out without meaning to...and spit and swear at people, and also twitch.
Because it is so extreme...the people featured couldn't hide it....so they were having to face up to it all the time, and the people around them accepted the way they were.
So is trying to hide anxiety a bad way of dealing with it? When other people are happy to accept all sorts of differences? :roll:

Any thoughts?

bloods

I'll finish it correctly. I was prescribed Placil which had a totally adverse reach. It made me totally worse.

I took myself off them, went to a physcologist who helped me heaps and also found out the cause. It wasn't chemical which it can be it was my way handling a situtation, which now after 3 years finally got off my back. I moved interstate with my husband and kids.

I'm now slowly starting to see things in a totally different light. Hopefully soon I will be able to get out on my own with out the world spinning on me.

:)