What medication should I be on?

KevVversion1

I have had social phobia since the age of about 14 which finally led to me chucking in my A level and shutting myself away for 6 years. I cut myself off from all friends and family and only went out once every 2 weeks to sign on, which used to really stress me out because I hadnt had my hair cut in years (to scared of going to barbers) and was embarressed about having long hair that was a mess. I never got any help at all because I just thouht I was some freak and everybody would think I was being stupid if I said anything. I never saw anything about it on TV so assumed I was the only one. Even when I got the internet I never even researched it then because I never knew what to search for as again I assumed it was just me being stupid. Anyway through the internet I started meeting a few people but had to drink heavily to see them (I had never previously drunk alcohol as I was so naive I never even knew what the affects were)... anyway it was a drunken incident that happened whilst out with my new friends that finally led me to get some sort of help. I was beat up by 3 men because I was arguing with my gf after my so called friends made up lies to her that I was cheating etc (looking back they were just making fun of me and using me for money as they were college age and I was much older)... they were the first ppl I had been in a pub with aged 25 and I felt more comfortable with people that age as they were learning the same as me and so I had more in common with them.... when I went to the doctors after this I said I didn't go out because of the incident and they put me on Seroxat and said I was depressed. This incident with getting beat up was over 2 years ago and although it set me back I am now just at the same level I was before. I havent really taken the Seroxat because as long as I stay in an have my gf coming round every so often then I can get by without being too depressed and it tended to affect my sexual performance as well. It was only in the doctors waiting room that I read an article in a magazine about social phobia and by all the symptoms I realised it was what I had, it felt amazing to know I wasn;t the only one but when I told the doctor he said I was just depressed because of the attack and at the time I didnt want to say that I had it before incase it affected the incapacity benefit they had just put me on which was a huge relief after years of pretending that I was looking for work and having job center interviews trying to find work that I had no intention of doing.

I have recently decided that I have to stop using drink to try and be normal as evntually I end up giving up jobs bcause the drink takes it toll. I have to stay sober and visit my doctor, tell him he truth and get proper help. My symptons are mostly in my head although in some extreme social situations I will freeze and be scared to even move my hand for fear that somebody is watching, I shake a lot if holding something and failed a driving test because my leg was shaking so much so gave up on that. I will just go really quiet and over analyse my performnce and not hear what is being said and so not responding properly go silent and try and get out of there asap. I can normally put on a good enough act in most situations for people not to notice so if for example I get an unexpected phone call like I did last week from my old job then I will handle myself ok but if I had been expecting it I would of spent ages planning what I should say, writing it down trying to learn it and drinking and smoking before hand.

I did work as a postman for 4 years partime from 20 to 24 because job center were threating to stop my jobseekers allowance and it was only an hour in the office sorting the I was outside and generally felt free from being trapped into an unescapable embarrassing situation. I didn't make any friends there as I ended up ignoring the only people that did chat to me so everybody just thought I was really rude and ignorant rather than shy. I always come accross like I dont care as a defence mechanism to make myself totally unapproachble. I hated every day of it but somehow got through it because I was counting down the days to when I was going to leave.

So my situation now at 28 is that I have a fair bit of money saved from when I was working...I never went out and lived at home, no car so just saved it all in the hope I could one day get married and have kids etc. Well I am now in a situation where I have been with my gf over 2 years and we would love to get married but I have no job and she is sick as well so has left college... we have no way of affording anything as I dont want to waste my savings on rent as im hoping that will help with a mortgage one day. I am getting increasingly depressed at not being able to give her what she wants and what I want which is a happy life as a couple in our own house. Instead she has to come to my house everyday with my mum here and my sister (who is very mentally ill and needs the house quiet)...I have been banned from my gfs house for over a year now because I had to drink too much to see her parents and her mum didnt understand, she just thought I was an alcoholic. But because of the situation I am trying to get a job but keep getting too drunk at interviews and stuff and the other week was rolling around in the carpark at a cadburys chocolate factory completly drunk... my mum said I was close to being ran over. earlier this week I took back my old job in telesales because when im drunk I do ok on the phones... but this was a slightly diffrent role so being drunk I was making basic mistakes wit making appointments etc... so I left after 2 days...also I got so drunk the 2 nights I worked that I came home and lost over £1000 gambling... I had to leave after that it was ridiculous. If I stay home and just see my mum and gf I dont drink at all so im not an alcoholic although it took me about 3 months before I was comfortable enough with my gf not to drink.

sorry Ive ended up telling my life story I never planned to... I just have so many questions and dont know who to ask. What medication should I be on?...will Seroxat help if I take it properly?... Is there any help me and my gf can get to get a flat or house without using up all my savings?

KevVversion1

Thanks for nobody replying I am even n outcast amogst social phobics....I feel so bad I gambled another £500 away tonight and got drunk because the depression of not being man enough to give my gf what she wants is getting to me...I am going out later and with a bit of luck will get stabbed to death.

redlady

Oh man - look sometimes people just don't know what to say, sorry. You are no outcast.
Medication, well i am currently on my 4th and it is early stages yet so i don't even know - i have been on zoloft and nothing - peroxotine and lovan had a horrible sexual side effect and you don't want that. The best thing to do is to go see a GP and discuss it with them.
As for your housing situation i have no idea - i'm sorry. I know that you can't get out of paying a bond that's for sure. Is a small loan an option ??

redlady

Don't sweat it man :wink: So do you think you will go to a doctor to discuss medication ?

powermetalniki

i self medicated with pot to relieve my social anxiety as well as a lot of other problems, up until a few days ago when i realized it was just making my everything worse. i am 18, and i started smoking a year and a half ago. before that i didn't much leave the house, left school, had no job, even felt shy around my own father and brother! getting high made me invincible and allowed me to speak up, and eventually that gave me enough false confidence to go out and do things, but in the long run it obviously has only made me a dependent, avoidant person who is throwing away the little money i have on marijuana, with my real problem untouched, just buried. these are my first days of trying to stay sober and face my social phobia without dealing by gettting high. anyway sorry for the rambling, my point is that i was very drawn to your story because i am new to this forum, too self-medicate, and do want to change that about me. badly.

when it comes to meds, only benzodiazepines (for me, Xanax and Klonopin, but I'm sure anything in the class approved for anxiety would work the same way) work in my case. I've tried Prozac weekly, Zolft, Wellbutrin, Remeron...nothing other than the sedating side effects of the Remeron helped. it's unfortunate that benzo's are the only thing that have worked for me, to this day even while on them it still doesn't resolve all the SA. but i AM a lot better than i used to be. i really wish you the best of luck and do hope you ditch the drinking for good. the style of your writing alone gives me a positive vibe, you seem to know exactly what you want and you appear very dedicated to acheiving that! 8) 8)

relaxed_attention

alcohol

Thank you for your post. I completely understand you. I first realized I had SA when I had a panic attack when talking with my boyfriend's parents. I had no clue what to say & I'm sure I was stuttering, but you know when you're in that moment, you can't even remember what happened.

So anyways, I appreciate hearing your story.

solicitous

I'm not going to suggest a drug, only because I have yet to find the perfect drug myself. My psychiatriast first put me on Paxil, starting at 20mg and up to 40mg. I didn't really experience anything at all, including side effects. I'm now on 225mg of Effexor XR. I think it is helping a bit, though some may argue this is the placebo effect. I feel much more comfortable in social situations... still nowhere near 'normal' (if there is such a thing?). The most important thing about it is that it really has helped me with the depression. I think many people would describe me as a happy go lucky kind of guy, when I'm really masking my anxiety. But, like many others, the anxiety gets me down... I honestly haven't had the negative thought patterns or even suicidal thoughts that I had before taking this medication.

Good Luck

abc1234

i am man on a mission to make this place fun again who here wants to make this place some where to come to seek advice and just be silly i know i do i mean everyone needs to blow off some steam or just vent every once and a while but their should be more fun and positve things on here

Hopeless05

I don't even know what to tell you man. I have tried meds on and off. They seem to work for a bit and then I wear off. Medication was not the answer for me and I do not suggest them for anybody else.

Thenagain, what is the answer? I wish I knew. I'm basically dropped out of college, unable to work, and lost contact with most of my friends because of the problems.

It's pretty bad, but what are the other options? At times I wonder why I, and others with the same problem have been condemned to such a fate.