What medication helps w/ agoraphobia?

Piglet Boy

I've tried ativan, xanax, lexapro. A lot is a pscyhological thing, but I don't know at what dosage will help me w/ this. At most I took .5MG, but it didn't help me when I had to be in a large group of people in a hot room. I started to sweat and panic.

D

deleted user 1

Buspirone, Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil. Though medication, to the best of my unprofessional knowledge, is not deemed a suitable solution to the problem on its own. It is best used in conjunction with behavioural therapy. The medication to deal with the symptoms and therapy to change the way you behave towards the stressor, thus you can actually get better, rather than attempt to sweep the issue under the carpet and let it snowball out of control. You probably know all of this already, but it bares mentioning none-the-less, as I don't like to point people towards medication without further caution. I hope this is of use to you.

Best of luck :)

Piglet Boy

Buspirone, Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil. Though medication, to the best of my unprofessional knowledge, is not deemed a suitable solution to the problem on its own. It is best used in conjunction with behavioural therapy. The medication to deal with the symptoms and therapy to change the way you behave towards the stressor, thus you can actually get better, rather than attempt to sweep the issue under the carpet and let it snowball out of control. You probably know all of this already, but it bares mentioning none-the-less, as I don't like to point people towards medication without further caution. I hope this is of use to you.

Best of luck :)

FOr me, its not the psychological aspect, its' the physical symptoms I have. That is, i sweat, I have heart racing, UNCONTROLLABLY .. I can and will engage in convos, but I cannot control my nervous system. that's my issue.

Rashidan

From my experience, those anti-depressants doesn't work all that well against anxiety. Only one medication really helped, but it was a temporary measure. Klonopin. It makes you feel calm as if you had consumed alcohol. The only problem is the body quickly adapts to the medication and you end up taking excessive doses within a year or so. There's also some psychological and physiological dependency issues that arises after using it.

6string

I am not trying to be discouraging because my body is super resistant to medication so it might be different for you but I have never found anything to help. Getting drunk helps but very very very temporarily. The morning after is so terrible that it isn't even close to being worth it, with symptoms being ten times as bad as they would normally be. On top of that people get to know you as 'drunk you' which makes it compound even worse.
I can tell you cafeine, sleep deprivation and stimulants (like things for add which I was on for awhile, misdiagnosed btw) are definately not helpers. I know alot of people who feel that xanax and klonopin are helpful but the side effects are not so nice with the whole zombie thing, and then withdrawing. Good luck, I'm tryin too.