What is the difference between shyness and SA?

nikki_marie

sp is a anxiety disorder triggered of by nervousness in social situations, like its more of a physical version of shyness i guess. blushing, sweating palms or anxiety attacks or panic attacks. i dont even no why theres a word for shyness tbh lol everyones different no what i mean. theres nothing wrong with u if ur shy, where as if u have sp its not normal.
further down the chain theres avoident personality disorder which is even worse than SP!

AuroraSky

Shyness and SA are "close cousins" and things that help one like CBT also help the other. I consider myself quite shy but only experience a few of the physical SA symptoms. It's almost like I am someone with a low pain threshold except its emotional pain (e.g. caused by rejection) rather than physical.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference, I have benefitted from reading about SA, shyness, and also depression. I have a couple of links which go into more detail about the difference though, you can access them from my homepage

www.geocities.com/nelconsult

hope this helps

burner21

how i always thought of it is normal shyness is just that your uncomfortable in new situations but get over it quickly and would not be a problem doing it again. SA is like shyness at first, but you'll feel nervous and uncomfortable symptoms throughout the situation. and since you equate that one situation with nervousness and being uncomfortable, you'll most likely try to avoid that situation in the future.

IWouldPreferNotTo

Based on the descriptions above, I'm definitely very shy, but I only get SA in a few situations. Before a party I'm going to, I usually get butterflies in my stomach. Sometimes I actually do get a little sick. The last girl I went out with (about 1.5 years ago) I got sick before and during each of the three dates we went on. I felt like I was going to have a bowel movement. It was embarrassing. I never had that problem before. I also get extremely nervous if I'm talking to a girl I'm attracted to.