what is the best medicine for anxiety ?

Valinda

May depend what kind of anxiety you have. I have had some differnet things that worked for me in different situations. I dont take anything you need to take every day or build up in your system.
1. Ginsing along with vitamins B and C. I had once gotten all knotted up inside and went to a huge health food store where the people were all nerdy intelligent natural health educated kind of people...and I told the guy I was all jittery and exhausted all at the same time but then I couldn't sleep and I knew it didnt make any sense but I didnt know what to do. He gave me this "Stress Formula Ginsing" which I havent been able to find in the stores anymore but there was nothing in it but vitamins B, C, and a small dose of Ginsing. It relaxed me without making me sleepy, but when it was time to go to bed I just laid down and zonked out. The key is to take one early in the day cause the ginsing can also keep you up like caffeine if you take too much. I only took one per day even though the bottle said to take like 4 a day. You never need as much as they tell you.....and even then I didnt take it every day, just when I felt I needed it.
2. If its a depression kind of anxiety, sometimes premysin PMS has helped me in the past and its not habit forming. Of course this is just for that what hte heck is wrong with me anxiety that is probably woman's hormone related. You just take it as needed but not every day. If you KNOW you're filled with anxiety cause you dont want to go to a party then it might not do anything for you.
3. A dr. prescribed Propranalol for my college graduation cause I was scared to walk across the stage...and that worked REALLY well and I felt like I was Miss Confidence and Grace for hours...if there were an award for Most Socially Graceful Graduate I would have won it hands down! But the next time I took it, it just made me throw up so....I guess my body wasnt ready to be that graceful again so soon. This would be my medication of choice for an infrequent event like a large office party...but it's not something you'd take every day. For every day use I'd take a low dose of ginsing and vitamins B and C in the morning.
I try not to take anything unless I really feel I need it, though....cause we're in such a delicate balance that if there's nothing really wrong and we medicate anyway we might create a problem, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

migelo

of course an acting course is the best. there is no cure for the socialphobia, better than the stage performing.

chopin83

Maintaining a positive attitude at all times is the best medicine. It's much easier said than done, but you can battle the anticipatory anxiety of (insert feared event here) by simply erasing all of the negative thoughts that flood your mind and replacing them with positive ones. In other words, instead of thinking how horrible your next day at work is going to be because of (insert negative thoughts here), all you've got to do is replace those anxiety producing thoughts with positive ones.

Ok, I know how oversimplified I am making this seem, but after 6 years of panic disorder patient experience with psychiatrists and psychologists, this is what I've found to work best for calming my anxiety. Now think about this "medicine" I've just explained to you... I believe the only thing that makes us different from the non-anxious population is our very high ratio of negative to positive thoughts. By simply switching negative thoughts to positive ones before you allow them to determine your actions, you'll be well on your way to changing that ratio I mentioned before into the exact opposite.

This negative to positive thought ratio, by my definition, refers to all of the thoughts you have when you're not alone. Most of us here at SPW are plagued by negative thinking, and as easy as I make fixing this problem sound, I know just as well as you do that it's not easy at all. In fact, it can be a living hell forcing yourself to utilize your newly discovered positive thoughts to their full advantage in life.

What I'm trying to say is, thinking positive is fairly simple, but BEING positive can be a nightmare for those of us who have allowed anxiety (and negative thoughts) to control everything we do. Some of us, me included, have thrown in the metaphorical towel in life all because of anxiety. I've been agoraphobic for years now, but I know that the "medicine" I'm describing in this post is all that I need in order to regain the life that I've allowed to slip away due to anxiety.

This life of mine that I've been describing illustrates the difficulty of putting positive thoughts into action. I know exactly what I need to do to overcome my anxiety, but the panic attacks continue to keep me inside and jobless. This shows that overcoming anxiety is not about what you know; it's all about how you USE what you know. I plan to use the "medicine" I've described here until I have everything that I want in life, which isn't much (a trucking job, and a place to call my own).

Before dismissing this post, just know that the following words are true. Negative thinking will only lead to negative results in life. Positive thinking will lead to (yep, you guessed it :D) positive results.

As anxious people are riddled with negative thoughts, I challenge all of you anxiety sufferers to maintain a positive outlook on life. All negative thoughts must be turned positive and not be allowed to determine your decisions and actions. If you can use your positive thoughts to actually BE POSITIVE in your daily life, I guarantee that your life will change for the better. When I say be positive, I simply mean to remove any (maybe not all) restraints that anxiety has put on your life and be able to live freely, productively, and most importantly, happily.

Medicine, as in psychotropic drugs, are nothing but a temporary mask when it comes to those used for anxiety related problems. I've taken every anxiety medication under the sun, and I'm currently weaning myself off of a 6 year prescribed benzodiazepine dependency. I am prescribed 2mg of klonopin 3x daily, but for the last month I've taken 1mg 3x daily. This month I plan to go with .5mg 3x daily and we'll see where it goes from there. I don't need benzodiazepines. All they are is a crutch. I am who I am and I need to alter my thought processes, not my brain chemistry.

Thanks for reading this. Please join me in using this "medicine," as I've hereby prescribed it to everyone who has read this entire post (and everyone else with anxiety problems :p).

Peace

I found this post to be very helpful , thanks for your advice :)

EscapeArtist

The best medicine for anxiety is sweet mother nature... oh and exercise.

I already posted on this old thread. oh well

and in case you're wondering, the best medicine for depression is cheery bluegrass music! I swear... :p

XRenato

For me the best medicine for anxiety is swimming, runnning and bodybuilding. I has worked nicely for me, it's what keeps me alive and going on. Works great.

Jamovik

Being with other people... but since I hate that, it will be hard to get over my anxiety. In fact, I think I never will get over it. I just have to find a way to live with it and don't let it stop me from living life.