What happens to nerds?

Jura

What happens to nerds (non-SA) when they leave school and go to college, and after they graduate from it? Do the high school "social castes" collapse and everyone becomes equal, or? Or do they remain socially awkward and date unattractive women and have few friends. By the time they marry, are they still distinguishable from people who were popular or normal in school? Or do they remain... well, weird? What kind of people do they become when they are in their twenties and thirties?

I fear for my future after I defeat SP. :wink:

bleach

Banned
How old are you?

The only social castes that exist after high school are based on money, so you can relax a bit.

decadeOfSA

bleach said:
How old are you?

The only social castes that exist after high school are based on money, so you can relax a bit.

not true, though after H.S., it is not quite as bad... You have to learn to play politics to get the best jobs/opportunities.

Being a nerd does help to get high paying jobs initially though, but you still have to learn to play the game and get along with people.

I've seen so many dumbasses get through college and because they get along with people well, they get good jobs. So it's important to be be part nerd and part socialite/politician.

proudmummy

Alot of the "nerds" I knew from school are now doing more fun stuff than I ever will. On facebook they are always posting pictures of great nights out, always posting about sex & how much of it they're having and in the very little times i've been clubbing myself i have seen them with extrodianary confidence dancing, chatting, and basically enjoying normal relationships.

Nerds don't nessecarily have SA.

decadeOfSA

proudmummy said:
Alot of the "nerds" I knew from school are now doing more fun stuff than I ever will. On facebook they are always posting pictures of great nights out, always posting about sex & how much of it they're having and in the very little times i've been clubbing myself i have seen them with extrodianary confidence dancing, chatting, and basically enjoying normal relationships.

Yes, but a lot of nerds are extremely boring. I'm a Computer Science major and I see a lot of nerdy people in a lot of my classes and they have extremely boring personalities and they are interested only in things like computers, anime, video games, etc. None of them like sports or going out or anything. I couldn't stand it if I didn't have to take non Computer Science classes without nerds. I would be doing a lot more social things if I didn't have SA, but since I have SA, I don't get to have much fun. I get along with a lot of people, but I cannot get as far as I would like, because of my SA. There are nerd "cliches" though that are nerds that hang out together and go out to bars together, etc. though. Then there are other nerd "cliches" that play video games and other nerdy stuff all the time.

Kien

Only what decadeOfSA describes are real nerds. :p Now that proudmummy mentions. Nerds does not dance or ever think of having a relationship.
Oh btw I call myself nerd. I don't read any manga though. I hate everything from Japan. I am not smart, I do not play any wow game. I like taking long walks in the forest.

Dave_McFadden

Jura said:
What happens to nerds (non-SA) when they leave school and go to college, and after they graduate from it?

Well, I drifted in and out of various (educational) institutions until I decided that I didn't want to go to school for the rest of my life. Then I got a real job.

Jura said:
Do the high school "social castes" collapse and everyone becomes equal, or?

No. However, in college there are more "nerdy" people like you, so there's a better chance that you can find some people who will accept you and they not complete lifeless weirdos. I can't say much about after graduating since I haven't socialized a lot since then.

Jura said:
Or do they remain socially awkward and date unattractive women and have few friends.

Yes and no. I don't know about others, but I'm still awkward and have few friends. But I don't date unattractive women though.

Jura said:
By the time they marry, are they still distinguishable from people who were popular or normal in school?

It's easier to disguise your strangeness, but if someone wants to know if you're a nerd, there are a few simple "diagnostic" questions they will ask. So you either lie about the answers or reveal the awful truth.

Jura said:
Or do they remain... well, weird? What kind of people do they become when they are in their twenties and thirties?

I used to be young, lonely, and cynical. But I have matured since then. I'm less young than I used to be.

Jura said:

After you defeat SP, you won't look like such a nerd (I'm assuming you started this thread because you are one) so you won't need to fear as much.

Jura

Great response people, thanks! :D

I am not your stereotypical nerd, I don't like video games that much, I'm not into nerdy stuff, and I would even say I have admirable social skills. Due to my SP, however, I have few friends in my school and they are nerds. That's why I'm grouped together with them in the "high school caste-system". Because that is partly what is holding me back from having cool friends and hot girlfriends (my SP, short stature and unfit body aside). I was concerned whether later in life, but before you marry, the class division from high school still lingers around, or vanishes. I've heard stories of ex-nerds who all of a sudden matured after leaving high school or college to lead exciting, fulfilling lives, so I wanted to see if anyone could confirm them.

caitlynx

Depending on personality, some nerds rise to the top of the social caste after high school. My childhood best friend who was always picked on through elementary school and junior high for being nerdy turned into a big' ol' hipster studying film at an Ivy League college - he has that whole gawky-yet-cool thing going for him now.

SilentStranger

proudmummy said:
Alot of the "nerds" I knew from school are now doing more fun stuff than I ever will. ...

As someone else said I think it depends on peoples personality. Generally people who are outcasts at school find their 'groups' in Uni. You know the computer nerds go and do computer science & join roleplaying/gaming groups, gay/bi people find gay and lesbian groups, sad weird people become goths and people from minorities find other expats. In their own way, they belong and I suppose the 'caste' system becomes irrelevant .

Then there are the social-phobics. You know the true social phobics who are the way they are because they are extremely introverted and don't have social skills. They for the most part come out the same way they left high school. Even in a off chance you find another social-phobic, your SP prevents you from connecting.

Nothing changes, you are depressed as much as you were when you were in high-school, or even more depressed because now you know that your chances of 'growing out of your condition' (if such a thing is possible) become slim and all that is left is to find a full-time job (which you fear) and if you are lucky you will get used to the pressures & monotony of a 9 to 5 job.

Sorry to be so negative, but I am depressed and this was my experience being a Social-phobic, ethnic, depressed, (& for the record, straight,) computer nerd at university.

-SS

Sinar_Matahari

What happens to nerds (non-SA) when they leave school and go to college, and after they graduate from it? Do the high school "social castes" collapse and everyone becomes equal, or? Or do they remain socially awkward and date unattractive women and have few friends. By the time they marry, are they still distinguishable from people who were popular or normal in school? Or do they remain... well, weird? What kind of people do they become when they are in their twenties and thirties?

One of my friends who was particulary nerdy in school is now very successful popular, confident and good looking. I'm proud that he preservered despite of people being complete assholes to him. The people who were dicks to him aren't doing shit now.

JCS008

In the grand scheme of things, whether you're a nerd or a "cool person" is irrelevent in life.

To get a job you need the qualifications and experience, but most important you need the personality. Your grades and work experience will get your foot in the door, but your personality and networking will get you up the corporate ladder.

So if you're a nerd and into nerdy things, that's fine. As long as you work hard, network and have an appealing personality, you'll be Ok in life. No one will really care if you collect comic books or sit in your basement on weekends surfing the internet.

drumev

One of my friends who was particulary nerdy in school is now very successful popular, confident and good looking. I'm proud that he preservered despite of people being complete assholes to him. The people who were dicks to him aren't doing shit now.

I had a similar case. I have a friend who I've known for all my life. He was kind of geeky upto 7th grade and kids used to mock at him. Including me, being so easily influenced... But I was supposed to be one of his closest friends taking the fact we were neighbours. And if there were times in which he felt miserable in class I was probably one of the biggest reasons. But he had the support of his family, something which I can never hope of. He saved himself by moving into another city. He seems to have found his true identity there, as he is now popular, successful, confident and not even remotely vengeful.
Hope I didn't bore you to death:D

Sinar_Matahari

I had a similar case. I have a friend who I've known for all my life. He was kind of geeky upto 7th grade and kids used to mock at him. Including me, being so easily influenced... But I was supposed to be one of his closest friends taking the fact we were neighbours. And if there were times in which he felt miserable in class I was probably one of the biggest reasons. But he had the support of his family, something which I can never hope of. He saved himself by moving into another city. He seems to have found his true identity there, as he is now popular, successful, confident and not even remotely vengeful.
Hope I didn't bore you to death:D

Nope, you didn't bore me. It's good to hear such stories. I am envious though because I want to succeed and do something great that gives me a lot of satisfaction and lots of money. :)

Anubis

What is a "nerd" anyway?

A person who's socially unacceptable?
A person who's into socially unpopular things?
A person who's dangerously addicted to a certain skill/fad?

Hard to say, which is why it's tricky to really predict success with this label lol.