what does waving your hand in front of your eyes mean?

inertia_creeps

hi i've just signed up here. i have social anxiety disorder. just wondering what people mean when they wave their hands in front of their eyes. this happened to me a lot when i was bullied at work and with friends and it triggers my anxiety. i think it means that that person can't interpret anything they're seeing properly because they're crazy or stupid? i might be wrong. i don't want to ask anyone because i think i might seem stupid not to know it, like it's an unspoken thing that everyone knows except me. anyone know? thanks.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
How exactly are they doing it? When the hand is perpendicular to the face and is waved in front of it I usually interpret it to mean "something smells bad." When parallel, I'm not as sure, it would usually depend on the situation but I would think it would have something to do with being able to see things, or some sort of inside joke of sorts.

It usually means "you can't see me", or it could mean that someone is indicating that the other person is blind to whats going on at the moment. You see athletes to this after they make a big play against another player. I see it as kind of an arrogant gesture.

Nanita

Where I´m from, it means "are you awake" / "is your brain functioning", like if I don´t seem to hear or understand what´s been said, someone might do that as a teasing reaction.
Yeah it´s not really a nice thing to do, it´s totally unnecessary.

nafadda

could mean any number of things..maybe "go away,i'm done with you'....could be a gnat flew in front of them...i wouldn't spend too much time wasting any thought on what a simple gesture means.

not as if you can stop people from waving their hands in front of them just because it make you uncomfortable..we do not have that much control on how others can act,so would ignore such a small gesture.