What does Alcohol do for you?

Orlando

Hi, everyone!

I got a question for anyone. When you drink alcohol or beer? Do you get more depressed?

I just went to a party and drank 3 beers in the first hour. That's a lot of beers for me. I usually drink that much for the whole year. Anyway, the next day, I felt do depressed. I didn't want to do anything. Does anyone else have this problem?

I don't think that I want to drink if I'm going to feel so crappy the next day.

symbiosis

Hi Orlando, good question!

I didn't drink at all until a couple of years ago at about 35 (bit of a control freak!). Have drunk once when at a work social function. It was only 1/2 a champagne, but I felt really awful, went completely quiet and basically waited for it to wear off. So, I only drink occasionally at home or at someone else's that I trust. I much prefer being totally in control of myself when out.

Back to your question, I feel fine the next day, but only ever drink one or two. I might be odd, but I've found alcohol and social situations DON'T mix! But I know other SPs who self medicate with alcohol quite often when out.

Cheers, Helen

Jarous

I do not drink ... you're asking why the hell am I replying then? Well, all the people around me drink and it makes me quite a bit proud about myself knowing I do not need it - plus, it's not out of necessity but choice - it's nice when I can do a least something the others can't...

Tris

Hii Orlando ;)

I dont drink, never have, i think if i were to start drinking i would use that as an escape, and thats not what i wanna do, i dont wanna hide i wanna face it! i think if i were to drink i would get depressed just knowing that it was an escape, maybe thats why that happens? i dont know just a thought

For me, alcohol is a social lubricant.

I need a few beers, but it stops me from thinking, and I become more talkative, even around people who I would normally avoid talking to when sober, due to my SP. For me, it offers a form of escapism from SP for a while, as if this is how I would be, were it not for this accursed SP.

But I have to be careful. I need to have enough so I can open up to be people, but also not have too much so I lose complete control of myself and suffer the consequences of a hangover the morning after (nasty business).

neddy

:lol: Hi Orlando

I very rarely drink anymore. When I used to I used to find that alcohol relaxes me and I lose some of my inhibitions but I didn't want to become dependant on it. It relaxes me to the point where I used to come out of my shell and not be so quiet, couldn't shut me up.

I have also felt the down side of alcohol but have also realised it could have alot to do with the company I was keeping, how well you knew them. Another thing is that if I didn't get alot of sleep the night before and am feeling abit tired them the depression sets in.

Anonymous

Getting Back on Topic

The following question is for the original poster:

Are you male or female?

I know what you're probably thinking. What does gender have to do with anything? According to the British Public Health Institute, it does.

If you are female, then your depression is probably due to a psychological depenendence. You got used to the good feelings the alcohol produced, and now you miss it.

More likely, however, is that you are male. In that case, there is a PHYSICAL reason for your post-drinking depresson.

As you may already know, when women consume alcohol, their testosterone level rises. They become overtly flirtatious, and sometimes even sexually dominating. However, by the next day, their testosterone lowers back to normal.

Men's testosterone, however, doesn't rise when they drink. However, they do experience the lowering effect. It lowers to almost 10% of normal. These men suffer through all the symptoms of low Testosterone. Moodiness, lack of sexual drive, reoccuring headaches (which make hangovers worse), and even DEPRESSION.

So to answer your question, it is completely NORMAL to become depressed after drinking alcohol. However, if you are female, you might want to see a liscensed therapist or councilor.

Orlando

Brithealthguy,

That's very interestesting. I'm guy so i guess that makes me feel a little better. I think the next time I drink beer, I'll use steroids too...that way I won't cry :)cry:) and be a 'girlie-man' when I'm drunk. LOL :lol:

Thanks for the information.....I definately want to read more about it!

Ostrich

Hi there.. I'm new here. I was actually just looking for something on this very topic, because I just "came out" to my boyfriend and he questioned my NEED for alcohol to make it through a social gatherings of any kind. He was under the assumption that it would make matters worse.. and he's right, but for me it only made matters worse after the fact. While drunk, things felt better. Everyone is different I suppose.

I am a self recovering alcoholic. I used to have to drink before I went out to drink for god sakes, I felt pathetic. But once I got those drinks in me, I became the person I wanted to be.. or rather, the person I knew I was, that hid inside of me for most of my life. It didn't cure me for the night, but it helped me ignore most of the bad thoughts enough to enjoy myself. Once the alcohol wore off, I was depressed, sick and back in hiding.

Now I'm trying to live me life without it and it's sooooo much harder, but worth it when I get out and face life sober... which doesn't happen often :S

Orlando

Hi, Ostrich!

Welcome to the website!

In my 20's, I tried to drink as much alcohol as I could so I could have fun at parties. My social phobia was so great that even alcohol did not take away my anxiety.

I'm glad that you are sober now and taking steps to improve your life. Social phobia is a real pain-in-the-neck! It gets us into all sorts of trouble. I knew of this priest once who was a recovering alcoholic....He could not drink the wine at Mass... He said, "Through all this pain that he endured, he is a much stronger, wiser person than he was before (he became an alcoholic)." It's like the saying goes,"What does not kill us only makes us stronger."

Anyway, thanks for responding to my post. :D

Anonymous

I do drink and I have found it to be a help at times. It was suggested to me that I had a drink before attending social functions I was a bit concerned about this as I did not want to start down the slippery slope of becoming dependent on drink. However, I found that It did help and instead of looking at the floor to avoid eye contact I could look at people it is still difficult for me but I don't think the one drink hurts. I only do this when I know I will find a situation very difficult.

Orlando

Hi, Guest.

I don't think that one drink is bad either. I just have that naughty side-effect of feeling depressed after I drink.

sky

Orlando: It is NOT a coincidence you got depressed. Alcohol is a depressant and will not help you with anything.

I recommend to everyone not to drink alcohol at all. It's my choice because both sides of my family have problems with it, I know I'd destroy myself with it... There are better, less painful ways to destroy yourself that don't involve vomiting, heh.

Oh and besides being a depressant it also dehydrates you. Drink some water instead. As for peer pressure, don't worry about it. Those who pressure people to become drunks are bitches and bastards, anyway. Not even worth your time.