What do you do with an addict?

june

I know this has nothing to do with SA but just having my brother around makes me so nervous I want to stay in my room even more.
Mybrother is just a year older than me and has a serious prescription drug problem. His life is in the gutter, he goes to another college(will probably flunk out), he can't keep a job so he can't pay his bills, he has made enemies of his roommates who now harass him, etc.
The part I hate is the co-dependent relationship we're in. He does stupid things, I hate him, he ends up in a big mess, I feel horrible for him, my parents help him out and it begins again. He ruined my last birthday by calling me when he was so high that he could only say a word every 15 seconds, it scared me because I thought he o.d. so I cried all night.

I'm just so frustrated and depressed right now with the whole situation!!! I feel guilty that my life is going fairly okay while his sucks even though I work hard for what I have. Sorry I just had to vent.
:(

BornAgain

what kinda perscriptions is he on? its really hard to quit painkillers, especially if one is used to the habit of abusing them. the only thing i could think of is sending him to rehad or something, or asking him to slowly lower his dosage until he doesnt need anymore.f`

Scottish_Player

Iam guessing its either pain killers like codeine your brother is a ddicted to or either that its benzos. The first thing you have to do when trying to help an addict is to get them to addmit they have a problem, and unless the person theselve admits they have a problem then you are fighting a loosing battle.

Does your bro consider himself to have a problem and does he want help himself?

luke1000

i feel for u

My brother who is 2 years older than me is addicted to cocaine it is so hard to see and scary i hate it.
I feel sorry for him and would love to shout at him but would not dare as i would be beaten up i am sure of it.
At the same time i want to help him as i care
It makes me feel down aswell
I feel helpless

I know what you are going through

Its hard

DYiNG-iNSiDE

i know exatly how you feel my brother is also a year older than me and for the past 4 or 5 yrs hes been on drugs rlly bad anything you can think of, weed, pills, inhalants ((and alcohol)) ect. he went to rehab a year ago and was clean for about 6 months but recently started back up he moved out last summer ((hes a senior,, im a softmore)) i remember one night he took so many pills he couldnt stand up and when he did he fell over.

if you ever need to talk im here. :)

june

thanks for your comments. It is helpful, though sad, to know that I'm not the only one going through it. He's addicted to codines, the hard part is that we were so close, but now I'm just angry at him. It's hard because he used to be super super smart but now is stupid due to abuse

Scottish_Player

june said:
He's addicted to codines

Hi Anne, i know how your bro feels, i have been addicted to codeine since i was 18, iam 24 now soon to be 25 and its only now iam able to stop, i joined a forum called http://www.codeinefree.me.uk/ its helped me loads and the people on the forum have been through it all aswell and truely understand what your (Your bro is) going through in withdrawl.

Maybe if you could get him to have a look at the site and read a few posts he would see that hes not alone and that he can be helped, i cant stress enough how close this subject is to my heart and if you ever wanna chat or need any advice just PM me.

But one of the first things you will have to do if you havent already is get your brother to actualy admit he has a problem and is addicted, because like i said before if he wont admit it to himslef then helping him is going to be near impossible.