What do experienced community members here advise?

Dear SocialPhobiaWorld community.

I've finally decided to start searching for help, and answers, to my problems through the internet. I don't know if others have suddenly reached this point in their lives or not? All I know is I feel a stresful urgency to connect in some way. (I think this is in part due to the fact that I will be going to prison in January for a while. If anyone wants to know about it they can ask me privately)

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section, or under the wrong heading. I'm completely new to this site, and it has taken alot of courage for me to finally talk about my loneliness even if it's online. All I want to do is express my problems to someone, and ask what they think I should try to do in terms of initial small steps. Right now I'm afraid that my life is about to pass me by for good. I also hope people are not aversive to this post because of the size.

I honestly believe excuding illness, disability or bereavement that loneliness and alienation is the worst experience known to man/woman. I mean even in the case of bereavement, I can't possibly imagine that losing your wife of thirty years whom you loved, adored and enjoyed is as painful as going through your life never experiencing any form of romantic contact.

I think there are a considerable amount of people who to a large degree simply have no concept of what true isolation is because it's just inconceivable to them. Therefore they talk about having no friends thinking of it as periods in your life where you don't know people because you: moved, had a falling out, changed schools etc. I think it's exceptionally difficult to explain to alot of people what it truly means to have never connected, even superficially, with anyone else. We are so social that it's far too alien a form of existence.

I've lived pretty much my entire life without friends, and I'm convinced it has been my downfall. I had generic school friends up until I was 12/13 and then I just hit a wall. I just couldn't connect anymore, and didn't feel connected to anyone around me. This was impossible to explain or articulate, and as I got older it became increasingly shameful to me, and ultimately more painful.

I was never bullied or abused, but for whatever reason I just couldn't click with anyone. There were obviously some practical causal factors at play. For instance I was very wordy and into history/literature within a school that was in a rough, economically struggling area. I was also very overweight and couldn't play sports, and I had a family which although unemotional was very restrictive and almost suffocatingly close. Nevertheless, I can't say that any of this felt like enough of an explanation to me for why I really was so alone. I was the perennial school loner I suppose.

This I think is what led me to suicide attempts at 17, though I deduced at the time it was because I felt so excluded from girls/women. I remember my first suicide attempt very well. It was summer at college and I was walking around the association area. It was a beautiful day and my vision felt almost hazy. I remember just watching everyone around me interacting; laughing, joking, sitting together, holding hands. For whatever reason this routinely painful experience was just sharpened, and out of nowhere I just mentally said 'I'm not living this life anymore' and I went home and tried to cut my wrists. My parents (father worked at a hospital) intervened. There was alot of negative pressure put on me by my family after this, and they wouldn't let me express why I had done it, considering any explanation to be a 'pathetic excuse.'

I truly tried to change things when I turned 18 that year. I got healthy, exercised rigorously (am an ugly man, but was a very overweight child/teenager until then) and for the first time, and put effort into my appearance. I really thought I could change things at university but I consistently failed. My family couldn't afford for me to live on campus but I was convinced I was going to become a new man. I also got my labrador that year, my first pet who became my 'best' and only friend. We would, and still, run together every morning before class.

However despite my efforts I was rejected by every girl I asked out (sometimes very politely othertimes a little harshly) and despite always being popular in the classroom was rebuffed everytime I asked to accompany people (this really baffled me). I didn't understand how classmates could say they loved my comments in the seminars but then not want to see me for coffee after? I rationalized that it came accross as weird because I didn't know anyone. These years wore me down and I started to feel cursed.

Seeing friends, and especially couples, started to break my heart everyday. I fell into huge drug abuse at 21, and became increasingly paranoid about my youth dissapearing. (I'm sure there are lots of people here who can relate to that panic) Things just got worse, and each rejection more painful. I continued study until 23 and just kept declining mentally, it felt like the last rounds of a losing fight, like I was running out of time. I think when people get to that point (24 now) their past is so painful/shameful that they can't function properly, and it's so hard to change things.

I truly believe years and years spent alone has a disastrous effect on your way of thinking, so when you want to change you can't think and feel like a normal person. Right now I feel like a ghost, like I don't exist. There have been NO pictures taken of me in 12 years, (besides 3 I did myself and my uni/work cards) I've never known someone well enough to call them up or be called on the phone, I've never been to the cinema with other people, I've never been on a date, never kissed a girl or hugged a girl or even held hands. (I was also never hugged by my family but I don't know if this is connected at all) I don't know what it feels like to be cared for or desired by someone, and I just can't seem to overcome it.

I've also lost my career/livelihood (and am going to prison) because of heavy clandestine drug and alcohol abuse all to help me forget my loneliness. I mean right now I'm resigned to never having a real life, but I still can't accept all of it, and desperately want to experience SOMETHING.

I'm reaching the point where I may have to accept never having any form of sexual contact, never being loved, never being part of a group. However, I don't think I can ever accept never having ANY emotional connection with a woman I find attractive. Is that so much to ask? All I want is to spend time with a pretty girl and have meaningful conversations, and maybe talk about books, read together, run together, someone I can give advice to and feel respected by, someone to make me feel human. I don't have to sleep with her or ask for much, but it probably wont happen. So I'm sorry this is so long, but truly having no friends as opposed to temporary seperation is a truly horrible, and misunderstood phenomenom. When I walk around the streets, or sit alone in a coffee shop and look at other people (especially women or couples) I feel like a different 'type' of person, like I'm something other than they are. It's so horrible. Maybe it's all my fault but just writing this because I've kept it secret for so long.

I don't know if anyone here will read all of this, and I abhor the idea of coming accross as self indulgent or selfish. I just want people to know that I currently have no friends, or acquaintances, and I'm desperately trying to find ways to make those first small steps to a connection. Be it online or in a shop or something. If anyone wants to know more about me to answer (appearance/demeanout/confidence level) I'll explain in the thread. If aynone read this: From the bottom of my heart thankyou!x

Hello Articulate, and welcome to the forum.

I can certainly relate to much of what you wrote (almost all of it in fact). So you're certainly not alone with these issues; many others on here will be able to realate as well i'm sure. In fact these types of issues are like the "bread-n-butter" of many people on this site. My life is actually very much like living in a jail cell, especially recently, as i have barely left the house in a month, and i don't have a life. But over the years (& years & years...) of this i guess i have learnt to deal with how i am, my issues, deficiencies, etc.

With women and such, i have a bit of a love/hate thing going. I regualarly lust/desire after them, but at the same time resent being made to feel needy & frustrated & not good enough (for them). At the moment i am having some issues with excessive thoughts of women, for some reason .. so am trying to resolve that, by studying some hinduist stuff on sex/tantra/etc, just to try and confront it all head-on (about the whole ying-yang male-female thing).

I can't really give you much in the way of solutions, if there are any, as i'm not really in a position to do so (imho). I have completely, utterly failed in the social & romantic areas, to almost the highest degree possible. Also, these are complex situations, so i'm not sure there is even any step-by-step method exists for resolving them. Maybe every person has to find their own unique solution or path through their issues?.

That being said, there are a lot of answers out there, as well as a few solutions. One step in the right direction is coming to this site. :thumbup: You could gleam a lot of useful advice, some of which could help you. So, keep the hope dude...

Thanks for responding

Are there any members on this site who also had no emotional contact with anyone until they were well into adulthood, and then managed to achieve it somehow?

I mean someone who was able to find a way to beat their inability to connect with people (especially women), or women who are either happy to connect with a man who they know has had no contact before then?

What frustrates me most is that I know I'm capable of coming accross well in certain contexts. For instance: in the classroom (when teaching), when speaking to parents of students, or when holding conversations about certain subjects I can come accross as; articulate, educated, well spoken maybe even superficially charming. However, I can never translate that into making a connection with any of my peers. I also need to overcome the fact that alot of people who interact with me through; study, work etc I think falsely assume that I'm a 'normal person, and I'm good at living by the fake life I created for myself. I've learnt to casually talk about non existent (friends/past and present partners/social events). Yet when I actually make an attempt to reach out to someone that facade falls apart and I think they instinctively feel that there's something 'off' with me. That I'm too needy or obsessive.

If any girls on this site can look at my; appearance and background and then maybe advise based on experience what actions I should undertake to make a connection I would appreciate it so much.

I guess for whatever reason I've come to a point where never having; hugged, held hands, kissed has officially become unbearable.

Thankyou.

SleepAllDay

Well, I'm not exactly an experienced community member, but I have some input for you. You mentioned that you're looking for a "pretty" girl, but you describe yourself as unattractive. I don't know what your definition of "pretty" is, but really attractive girls can often be more shallow and judgmental than their less attractive peers. Seriously, there are a lot of nice women out there, and I'm sure you can find one.

jaim38

This may be offensive, but I think romance is overrated. I have not dated or made out with a guy, but I don't feel shame or embarrassment over this. I find satisfaction in other things in life, such as chilling with my parents and chatting with my friends from time to time. Also coming to SPW and being able to relate to others, isn't that a social connection that I'm making? I don't need a bf to survive.

I find that very interesting.

You"ve never kissed a guy, but you don't feel any shame or guilt about it?? Have you ever been hugged before? I don't know if the shame associated with no contact with another sex is particularly strong with men as opposed to women. I think my shame has become less important now. I'm just afraid that I will turn old before I even hug or hold hands with someone. Maybe I'll find out that it's overrated or just not all that satisfying to certain people, I just want to know what it feels like.

jaim38

I really feel no shame in having never kissed someone (though I have received 2 unwanted kisses from guys whom I'm not attracted to). I don't feel the need to experience kisses.

I have been hugged by my parents, best friend, relatives, and other friends.