Went for a blood test today

Dave1989

It's nothing to do with the disgnosis of it more just the story itself.

Walked in and went to reception to explain why i was there, was talking to the receptionist and could of saw she smiled ever so slightly as if she was trying to keep a laugh in, now usually that would of ruined me for the day but instead of assuming that she had tried to keep a laugh in, I told myself that it was probably just my anxiety trying to pick up on any little sign that she was judging me.

Anyway onto the blood test, I am absolutely terrified of needles so as soon as the needle went in I thought i was going to faint, they couldnt get any blood out of one arm so the needle went in the other arm, then they couldnt get any blood out of that arm so they had to call the doctor in to take blood from my hand, so as you can imagine I was white as a sheet and actually thought i was going to collapse ::eek::. By this point there was two nurses in the room, a doctor and the medical student who had been assigned to the doctor all watching me have the worst five minutes of my life lol ( which for a social phobic you can imagine wasn't too pleasent), the nurses were also talking to me like i was a child but again instead of my usual negative thoughts of " they are talking to me like that because they think there is something wrong with me/ think im slow etc etc) I started telling myself its because they could see I was struggling wuth the needles and that they were being conciencious.

All in all it was quite a positive experience for me because it is a sign that slowly I am managing to change my negative perceptions, and in a situation that would of usually caused my anxiety to be unbearable, I even managed to find a little bit of humour in the whole thing today.

EscapeArtist

Finding humor in a situation like that... Good for you! Really.. That sounds alkjdsflkadf intimidating. I am scared of needles/blood too. I am also scared of that slight physical contact they pay you...touching your arm and so... AWKWARD... And all those people. Nice job.

What was the blood test for?

Dave1989

thanks :). Yeah the whole intamacy of the situation was a bit unnerving as well but I just kept telling myself it's there job and that there was no reason to panic and it helped me calm down quite a bit.

I've been really tired over the past couple of months so I got the test to see if i'm anaemic, i'm a bit of a hypochondriact so I always think something is wrong haha