Weird feeling before sleeping?

Hi Im just wondering if anyone has experienced this feeling or something similar?

When i lie down and try to sleep just before sleeping ( just seconds before you fall asleep) i sit up quickly and have really fast heart rate and need to gasp for my breath and get this really unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach. Its like the feeling when you go down a drop on a rollercoaster or a bump in the road.

Im really scared it feels like im going to die when it happens then i go dizzy and panic even more thinking whether or not to call the ambulance. Im sick of these symptoms and just want them to stop . This has been going on for a few months now and ive been checked out health wise and seem fine.

Anyone experience this ? Thankyou

mixedupgirl

Hey, yes I use to get these bouts of panic just like you described. It was years ago now but it was when I was very depressed and use to worry about everything all day long. It use to really scare me because I thought to myself, I understand if I'm getting these for a reason like if I'm just about to go some where and I'm nervous etc but when it came on a night when I was all alone in bed and safe I didn't understand... I thought I must be dying or going crazy etc.... but when you worry all day long I think this is the side effect of all those accumulated thoughts that run through your mind on a night.... It didn't last forever though... hope your ok

Hiya love how are you keeping ?

Yeh i think ill be ok . Its just horrible feeling all i want to do is get some sleep . I cant stop yawning and im knackerd but i just cant switch off. Going to try some relaxing music or something .

Cw

Sacrament

I guess it might be because you're worried about stuff all day, and so when you go to sleep everything piles up on you and makes you feel that way. Maybe if you start working on all the things you're worried about, some of that weight will be lifted from you, and you'll be more relaxed when you go to bed.

mixedupgirl

I'm good-ish thanks, could always be better... :)

I know it's a horrible scary feeling....at least you know your not dying or anything and you've always got people to support you on here... hope you managed to get some sleep in the end.

Quieter

this kinda sounds like what i went thru before i was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. often just before i fell asleep, i would suddenly panic and gasp for air. it would sometimes happen in the middle of night. apparently i would jump out of bed but not actually wake up until I was on my feet dizzy and gasping for air in a panic. very scary cuz i didn't know or remember how i got to my feet. this might not be your problem, but it does sound similar to mine.

Hey, yes I use to get these bouts of panic just like you described. It was years ago now but it was when I was very depressed and use to worry about everything all day long. It use to really scare me because I thought to myself, I understand if I'm getting these for a reason like if I'm just about to go some where and I'm nervous etc but when it came on a night when I was all alone in bed and safe I didn't understand... I thought I must be dying or going crazy etc.... but when you worry all day long I think this is the side effect of all those accumulated thoughts that run through your mind on a night.... It didn't last forever though... hope your ok

I was going to say something similar to this, sounds like accumulated anxiety. I don't get the same exact thing but there have been times when I've woken up early with this oppressive feeling like I'll suffocate if I try to sleep. For some reason it's worse with naps :idontknow:

I'd still talk to your doctor though.