Weight issue (off topic)

Scottish_Player

This is a little off topic from SA but is an issue in my life for me and has been for years now, the problem is iam under weight for my height and this makes me lack confidence in myself, no matter how much i eat i never ever gain weight.I can stuff my face all i wont and nothing changes, this may sound good to some but for me its not. I would like to put on about 2 stone (28 pound i think?)

My question is this, does anyone have any succeful tips/ideas for putting on weight?

Cheers
Mark

Toad

yeah...i have the same problem as you do, but it doesn't really bother me to much. My parents used to be worried about this (like...when i was 12 or something lol) and they made me drink health shakes or something like that, which were supposed to help you gain weight, but they did nothing and tasted nasty. Dunno what to tell you...our metabolisms are psycho...just the way things are sometimes.

black_mamba

I used to 'try' and gain weight all the time, not really putting an effort into doing some solid research. I was never successful in the past.

But over the last 3 or 4 months I've managed to gain a stone and maintain it, and according to some doctors its harder to put on weight rather than loose it, so ha! I have no sympathy now for all the other dieters out there. :lol:

Just kidding guys...don't hurt me. 8O

Scottish Player, what I did to gain weight wasn't rocket science, but if you tell me what you've tried I may be able to offer some alternatives. Did you just eat more? What does that mean? More meals? Different foods? More calories?

Scottish_Player

When i say i ate more i mean i would add in lots of snacks to my day like bars of chocolate and crisps i always went for the high calorie stuff, i also have a drink that is suppose to help people gain weight as it has around 400 calories per drink, i would also eat all my meals until my plate was clean even if this meant forcing myself i just basiclay ate day and night, i tried to eat as much as i could before sleeping as i heard this is a good time if you want to gain weight. i must have been eating around no less than 3000 calories a day and still iam only 9 stone 3 lbs :roll: the weight i can never seem to get above.

black_mamba

Interesting. I basically did the same - force fed myself even if it was painful.

I ate whenever I felt hungry trying not to hold back. Basically I was feeding myself until I felt full at every given opportunity, at uni that was like 6 times a day and much easier because the canteen cooked for me.

You're not secretly loosing weight via exercising too much are you? Because that would just be naughty. :eek:

Scottish_Player

I do work out now and again but thats my excuse for not doing it as i cant afford to loose weight :lol:

With me i never actualy feel hungary that often i normaly eat because i know its time to eat and not because i want too if that makes sense. During the times of me wanting to put on weight i would just eat at every opertunity and i have done this for 2 weeks before and i then get fed up as i se no change in my weight so i go back to my normal eating. I even bought a new set of scales incase the ones i had where faulty :lol:

Oh well...... i'll just search the net for some scammer selling weight gain pills that are 100% GAURENTEED :p

Toad

assuming a stone is 14 Ibs, then you weigh more than me Scottish_Player...not by much though (i kinda hover around 125 Ibs) :lol: what do i win? I'm not short either... 5'11'' :p

firelily

It nice to know there are others out there with this problem. I've been underweight all my life and its always been something that annoys me. People think its ok to come up to skinny people and comment on their weight! Even total strangers would do this 8O
I've tried many 'gain weight ' diets but I think its just a metabolism thing which I'm told will correct itself with age. But still whenever sombody mentions a food or action that will help them lose weight, I make a mental note to do the opposite!

black_mamba

I am the exact same weight as scottish player. I'm about 5ft8 and I think this weight is considered within the healthy range for that height. But you can easily check online with those Body Mass Index calculators.

Yeah I forgot to ask for how long you continued to eat loads scottish player, only 2 weeks? Have you tried it for longer periods? It took me about 3 weeks at the very least to achieve slight gains (only noticable on the scales) and about 1.5/2 months to get visibly larger.

Fredscars

i'm 5'6" and weigh 8 stone, 5pounds...
everyone complains to me about bieng so slim and what not (im actually pretty heavy for how i look, apparently i was always like that..my mom would almost throw other babies in the air when she picked them up, because she was so used to me)..but im not ahsamed of it..i've alwyas liked the fact that i am so thin, and i get obssessively concerned if i put on weight. I eat god knows waht, but idf i put on weight its like *panick*
i'd say that unless you are so thin that it is affecting your health, its notr somehting you should concern yourself about, unless if really does aggravate your SA in which case, i think its a case of eating less but more regularly - thats what i've heard any way.
..or you could work out more and just put on bulky muscle instead of fat..

JWH

How about you gain weight via exercise? Also, go to a dietician if you must, but find out how many calories you should be eating and go from there. Eating fats have much more energy per gram than protein and carbohydrates, so there's a start. Find foods which are healthy yet still high in fats such as nuts, avocado, etc. You don't want to be gorging yourself on highly processed foods as these will give you trouble in the long term.

I am currently losing weight and doing it by simply eating naturally low fat , whole and low GI foods. Now you can still eat whole foods as they are cleaner and better for you in the long term, you can decide if low GI foods will help you or not. Generally Low Glycemic Index foods give an even release of sugar when digesting. This can help 'dieters' store less fat, but it also allows the carbohydrates you consume to be utilised by the body. I have also found it helped me with headaches, dizziness, tiredness and moods.

I believe that gaining weight for people who just do not have impulse to eat requires the same amount of education that people who are overweight require. Where I must tell myself when to stop eating and what to eat, you must tell yourself when you must eat and what to eat (at a guess). You have to stick with your routine and be conscious of what you consume. It's enough for a fat person to say "well I exercised once, where's the change? - better go binge because that sure as hell didn't work" but what about when you say "I can stuff my face all i wont and nothing changes". Similar sort of thing, eh? Stick with it.

Scottish_Player

Black_Mamba - It was only 2 weeks i ate for, every time i could possibly eat then i would, i just stuffed my face but when i seen no diffrence after eating almost double what i normaly would i got fed up with it. No matter how much or how little i eat i seem to stay the same weight :roll:

Grumblina - I done weight training at home for 3 months at one point in my life a few years ago and this did help me put on a little weight and look good lol ive been trying to get back into doing it but i have no motivation for it, the last time i done it i had a party to go to, i knew it was coming up so i just stuck in at the weights but me being me i ended up not going to the party and then gave up the weight training.

Fredscarecrow - Its not affecting my health in anyway but like you said it does agrivate my SA, when iam heavier just by a little then i feel good for some reason as i dont feel so self concious and skinny, people are suprised when i tell them i am under 9 and a half stone as they say i dont look it :D but i still know iam and would like to do somthing about it.

Thankd for all the replies, iam gonna go buy some peanut butter, ice-cream and cheese now :p

black_mamba

After I was eating more calories (and also more food in general) my stomach stretched. So even now months after my conscious effort to get big, my stomach gets hungrier far more easily so I have to eat more to keep it happy.

To be fair, all the weight I did gain was pure fat. But I don't care, I've been trying to gain weight all my life so to hell with unhealthiness. Now I can appreciate clean non-processed foods a lot more, plus my stomach is bigger, so all is good. Now to find enough courage to go join the local gym... :x

*gives scottish player her collection of unopened snacks*

They're virtual but they're tasty. :p

Scottish_Player

black_mamba said:
*gives scottish player her collection of unopened snacks*

They're virtual but they're tasty. :p

lol thanx :D

Now i dont need to get up to go to the kitchen for somthing to eat :p

What kind of foods where you eating, was it mainly just stuff with high calories? did you ever try the high calorie drinks that have about 400 calories a drink. I use them but iam not sure how much they work or if they actualy have 400 callories in them :?

black_mamba

:lol: I'm sure they do.

I didn't eat particularly high cal foods, but given the choice I would always read the food labels and make sure I got the best choice. This is gonna sound odd but it's going to hurt. I think I was averaging about 5 or 6 meals a day and only about 2200 calories (and I still gained, which says a lot about how little I was eating in the past. The recommended level for women=2500) 8O

Like I said, it hurt. After most meals I was half dead from eating so much more than my stomach could cope with at the time. People would come upto me in the canteen to see if I was alive...(I even got the token lanky geek boy asking me for weight gain advice, it made for a suprisingly good conversation starter :lol: )

Those drinks, if they work for you then go for it. I'm a bit of a fine food lover so anything that tastes of chalk ain't going down my throat. :lol: