Walkie-Talkie work phobia. So lame, yet so real.

PhantomPod

I just got a job at the store Target, during the holidays. We have to use these walkie-talkies to communicate with other departments in the store and to answer questions customers might have. And that walkie-talkie is going to cause me to have a fucking panic attack.

I've only worked three days now and I want to quit already. I can't handle it. When they call my department over the walkie-talkie I keep ignoring it hoping that someone else from my department or from a close-by department will answer the call. Then I feel all paranoid like someone is testing me and is watching me because they know that I'm ignoring the calls.

One time that I actually did answer over the walkie-talkie, I didn't use "proper" walkie-talkie talk or something, and the girl on the other end was near-by and she came up to me and was a bitch and was like, "you shouldn't say that over the walkie-talkie." And then I felt like crap and got all red and my voice was all shaky and I felt like I was about to burst into tears, because this girl had just been "mean" to me or whatever the hell.

In my head I know that it seems so stupid to be so terrified of a little walkie-talkie, but it's seriously going to cause me to have some sort of panic attack. I can barely concentrate at work because I'm so obsessed with praying that the damn thing doesn't call my department and I won't have to use it at all.

Sacrament

Practice makes perfect. Just practice it at home and you'll get better. I started working recently and it's been hard, but it makes you feel proud of yourself when you get the hang of it, and trust me, every single day is a battle, every single day my skin is red and flushed, my heart races and my body sweats.

You have to do what you have to do.

PhantomPod

Yeah, that's what I've been figuring, but I feel like I can't even make myself talk over the thing. I can't stop avoiding it even though I know that I should just grow some balls and practice talking over this walkie-talkie. Ahhh, it's so frustrating. It makes me feel so weak not being able to use it.

During my lunch break the other day, another girl that I work with told me to tell this other lady we work with when I was back from my break. As in, she said I should call her over the walkie-talkie to let her know I was back. Me being the nervous idiot that I am, when I was done with my break I walked around looking for this lady (I didn't actually know who she was and I was walking around looking at people's name tags) so that I could tell her to her face instead of having to use the walkie-talkie.

When a customer asks us where something is and we don't know, we're supposed to call over the walkie-talkie and ask our co-workers if they know where this item is. The other day a customer asked me if there was anymore of an item and instead of calling the backroom, like I'm supposed to, to find out, I just told her no and that all we had was what was on the shelf.

This is causing me so much anxiety. I feel like I can't deal.

I mean, I guess the job is somewhat perfect for a person so shy, as the only talking it requires is over that walkie-talkie, or when a customer asks a question. And for the most part of my work shift I just walk around folding clothes and fixing the clothes on the hangers and not having to talk to anyone.

smyth

i had this problem when i worked on a building site, i must agree its very nerve wracking using them things! i found it was best to rehearse what u are about to say into the walkie tlkie in ur head a few times then take a deep breath and then say your piece. id say it gets a little easier but i was always nervous of saying the wrong thing and every1 with a walkie talkie hearing me lol.

rainstreet

yeah, i've had jobs where i had to use a mobile radio. it sucks but you get used to it. don't think about the thousands of listeners out there.;)

Last edited: