Waiting Room Etiquette

Chrysalis

Generally, (as a female) I would give my seat up to the elderly, pregnant or disabled instantly, and try to aim a pleasant, friendly smile at the others waiting (very hard at times, I know) to let them know that you have acknowledged them, but that you have given your seat up to those you have chosen to.

Also remember that YOU have a right to a seat while you are waiting.
You are entitled :) (Repeat this mantra please)

Some people may appreciate you giving up your seat, others may not - everyone's different, and I think at the end of the day, most people are just to be attended to - not nab the best seat in the house, like they are attending the cinema (if you understand what I mean) :)

I would just stick with the above 3 mentioned for now - elderly, disabled and pregnant - everyone else should have gotten there first

:)

Great question by the way

marciaX3

i have this problem on the train and buses where i live. the public transportation system had to actually come up w/ a "etiquette" program where we're all reminded of manners on the trains and buses. lame, having to tell masses of adults how to be polite! but that's how rude MA riders are!
as for letting people have your seat, i follow a general rule: pregnant women, elderly, kids, and disabled. i'm a female, so i can say that i would appreciate a guy offering his seat to me, of course that's b/c no one ever does this where i live so i'm not used to this "chivalry". at least offer and if they say no thanks, then so be it. that's their choice.

Nervous

i have this problem on the train and buses where i live. the public transportation system had to actually come up w/ a "etiquette" program where we're all reminded of manners on the trains and buses. lame, having to tell masses of adults how to be polite! but that's how rude MA riders are!
as for letting people have your seat, i follow a general rule: pregnant women, elderly, kids, and disabled. i'm a female, so i can say that i would appreciate a guy offering his seat to me, of course that's b/c no one ever does this where i live so i'm not used to this "chivalry". at least offer and if they say no thanks, then so be it. that's their choice.

You can have my seat:)

PinkFrog

Well, my Mom's handicap, and if we are somewhere where it requires her to stand for long periods of time, I have no qualms about asking someone to give up a chair, or even asking for a chair for her to sit on. SA aside.

I could careless where I sit; just as long as she is comfortable. I think it's nice how you would give up your seat out of the kindness of your heart. As well as being courteous to those who can't stand up for long periods of time. It's just common decency.

obita

Yep, definitely elderly, pregnant and disabled.

On public transport, I never sit in the seats reserved for elder/disabled even if no one is sitting there. I know some people sit there, and will get up if required – but I just prefer to leave it empty. I don’t have a problem standing anyway – which negates the problem of having to decide who to stand for etc.

If I think you just have to base it on: ‘is this person in greater need of the seat than me?’ For example, if I an obese person who was puffing entered the room, I’d give them my seat to let them recuperate. But if a young, fit person enters, then it’s first-in-first-served and you’re entitled to your seat.