Very hard to go outside!!

BlackKids

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that. Personally I find that going outside does help. Maybe I feel the same as the day before but atleast I did it. Theres been times when I've wanted to run home but I'm always glad once I'm safely inside.
Where abouts in Ireland are you from? I'm living in Cavan myself

Anomaly

I never exactly had that problem. I could get nervous if I knew I was the center of attention - giving a lecture, for instance. Otherwise, you're nearly anonymous in the crowd. People don't care about you that much to take time out of their lives and judge you, unless you actually try and get their attention by being very out of the ordinary, such as wearing a clown outfit while walking down the street.

BlackKids

I dont think you should be too hard on yourself. I always try look for the silver lining. For example, 1 step forward 2 steps back. I would be happy I went forwards at all

NothingElseMatters

I dont think you should be too hard on yourself. I always try look for the silver lining. For example, 1 step forward 2 steps back. I would be happy I went forwards at all

thats good advice!dont rush yourself sundaygirl.take small steps.and also when you decide to go out and then you return home ,just spend 5-10 minutes thinking what you did and see that it wasnt so bad so next time u go out u will have those thoughts pushing you forward:)

mndigi

It's always hard for me to go outside. And often people stare at me hard. I have hated it since I was small. But I have taken the advice of my therapist and don't care about it, concentrating on my work instead. Nothing else I can do about it any way.

I know it's hard, but the only advice I can give is slow desensitization, and learning not to care what you look like. I'm uglier'n'hell, in middle school my nickname was Zits'n'tits, on account of my horrible acne and man tits(no matter how much weight I ever lost never could get rid of these), but I just learned not to let what other people said or thought about me, hold me back, I started making fun of myself before others could and they didnt have any material to work with.

I worked at a restraunt where, we had a table, right in the effin' middle of the whole place, I was literally surrounded, any customer could see anything I did, and I'd think about what they were thinking about how I was making their food and them thinking about my long hair and it got ridiculous,I'd just take a few breathers or cigarette breaks in the back of the restraunt and push through it(my managers and the owner were aware of my agoraphobia).

Baby steps is the way to go, heh, If you've ever seen "What about Bob" with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss in it. hehheh If you havent seen it, I'd recommend it, I dont think I've seen anyone with even just a scinch of Psychology/Phobia knowledge not laugh.

But, I dont know the landscape around you, make tiny goals, go sit on the bench for 10 minutes, who cares if you're not waiting for anyone or if it doesnt have anything pertinent to what you're doing.

My dad would have my agoraphobic uncle go into grocery stores, and of course all the "What if's?" come up, "Why're we going into a store with no intention of buying anything?" Well it's not illegal to enter a store and look around or sit down. It took him a bit, and wasn't easy, but his problem became more managable.

Best of luck to you.

mikestar

Banned
I hate to go outide. i feel so paranoid that people are judging me. i think its just cos i hate how i look, so i end up thinking theyre laughing at me. Going outside, no matter how much i do it, never gets easier.

your not alone babes,small steps and keep posting.

Skatergirl

Banned
I find it hard to go outside too, And i know what you mean that you think they might be laughing about you, Last week i was walking in the park, and some teenagers walked me by and i was afraid of making eye contact, and i felt like i was acting very awkward, and i guess they judged me on that, because they laughed (on a mean way) to me..
That was really scary , I thought oh my god.. let's walk a little faster .... o_O

Quickslash

Yeah I feel the same way sundaygirl. Even though I feel a lot better after getting out of the house...like you know refreshed because I've been someplace else for a while.

It just doesn't seem to get any easier no matter how many times I do it...and even then I have to go with someone I know.

I did have a job when I was 17 and that was when it was the easiest and I didn't care so much about what I looked like.

So maybe going out everyday is the answer -_-