Various Grim Places

MMGiru

So I'm rarely aware of my own intentions in any particular, but I've recently made some vague attempts to feel connected to feel connected to the rest of the species. Being me, this was a) through the Internet, and b) tentative.

Now, there are apparently places in this digital scape whose purpose is to perform that same function I was seeking. To settle the issue of social networking: I've not participated in such ventures for some years, and have minimal intention of changing that.

More to the point are such places as this which, rather than their intended effect, leave me acutely aware that I am a recluse, and do not engage in any such cozy pastimes. And yet I know at least one person -- a dear friend -- who derived comfort from the place.

I recently jumped into the text-only version of Omegle, since the place is meant to fling you into conversation with random and anonymous folk. Rather than that, it has proved a cesspit of bots and people -- all men, apparently -- looking for cybersex. Real conversations are few and far between, and while I managed to make a single friend in that shady venue, the place was mostly disheartening and soul-crushing.

Last on my agenda is a particular subreddit called 'cuddlebuddies'. I'm not especially a redditor; made an account the other day, and have not since done anything significant with it. This place -- whose function is for people to hook up for platonic cuddling -- seemed something that I could approach with a sort of optimistic caution. This again proved an unfortunate decision, as no one of my preferred gender (female) who posted appeared to have been within a hundred miles of here. Reading the individual threads made me wonder how often the various OPs find success in their endeavors.

The thing is, I know this is not the appropriate way to go about such a search. Ideally, you meet someone with common interests and thinking, and then share some measure of contact with them. I didn't especially care. And this is setting aside the fact that currently, I do not meet people, at all.

So I'm just... I don't even know. Complaining? Quite possibly. But I'm feeling some deep disconnect with the rest of the species, and I guess I'd like to hear different people's (or indeed peoples') thoughts. Has anyone else visited these sorts of sites, and found them similarly unsatisfactory? Or has anyone met success in these sorts of venues?

MMGiru

Presumably both parties just sit or lay in immediate proximity, with physical contact, and... I guess watch movies? Read? Nap? Whatever it is that cuddling folk do, aside from enjoy the human contact.

MMGiru

It struck my naive self as something of a fantasy. And I guess it still does; reveling in another person's presence, and all that.

MMGiru

I do not think the learning curve would be especially steep in this; feel like I came pre-built with such inclinations.

My point here is more that all these sources of emulated and hypothetical human contact are disappointing. Or something. I'm still unclear on my point.

TreeBones

Oh, I see. Well maybe you just haven't found someone that you like enough to do this with. It depends on the person for me personally.

MMGiru

Well, I feel it's more that the only people I have both the requisite familiarity with and inclination towards are several hundred miles away. And I don't even leave the house more than every other week, typically, so I don't just build these sorts of bonds.

It's the sort of thing where I know the whole enterprise is stupendously silly.

TreeBones

I understand. I wouldn't have anyone to hug or anything anyway besides my family which would be the last thing I'd want to do. The only people I hug are my two little sisters because they asked me why I don't hug them, so I try. I imagine it's different with significant others.

MMGiru

That you don't want to hug your family -- little sisters aside -- is unfortunate. While I don't know the circumstances, I feel for you. I was with my sister a few months ago, and my niece told me 'I love you' in her four-year-old voice. I hugged her then, and with some effort, managed not to cry. Which, getting that close to it is pretty non-standard for me.

I do hear cuddling with an SO is different, and my imagination makes it out to be some magical experience. Happy to hear thoughts from anyone who has or had a person, and can expound on this subject.

Capsaicin

I find the Internet in general to be a poor social outlet with the exception of things like Skype. Chats and forums simply don't compare in quality or interactivity to an offline discussion or a call from someone I know well, so I'm unmotivated to reach out, be active, etc. The best case scenario is meeting someone I can call a friend, even if online, but the much more likely outcome is that I simply meet many, many, people I don't click with who make little effort to connect with me, and am drowned out by louder, more noticeable personalities.

The Internet is the same as the real world, only you have nothing but text and you're not even guaranteed a facial expression as a human interaction reward for your efforts.

MMGiru

Yeah; my Skype is unavailable due to my dead computer, currently. Not that any of the people I know through the Internet actually enjoy either audio or video chat, but it does at least exist in some vague hypothetical state there.

I dunno; I'm just complaining I suppose. This is where the concept of 'first world problems' comes in, yes? Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses. Best to divorce myself from expectations in this sphere regardless.

Capsaicin

Yeah; my Skype is unavailable due to my dead computer, currently. Not that any of the people I know through the Internet actually enjoy either audio or video chat, but it does at least exist in some vague hypothetical state there.

I dunno; I'm just complaining I suppose. This is where the concept of 'first world problems' comes in, yes? Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses. Best to divorce myself from expectations in this sphere regardless.

Problems are always relative.