Urgent, kind of! Eighth grade project --

paul

we have to do what is called a "learning fair" (ends up in meeting with a whole bunch of people, awful) and I have this list of topics so far:

1) social anxiety...
2) history of rollercoasters?
3) amityville horror (its so dumb though)
4) what makes somebody a serial killer?

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. I swear to god I'm not some morbid death-obsessed freak, it just appears that way! :oops:

So... think of something interesting! :wink: thanks in advance

bluenow

Hi Paul - Tell a little more about the project. Are you supposed make a project that teaches others? Will it be set up with a large cardboard presentation board and then all will get to see each others ideas?
Sorry I'm so dense, just been a while since I was in the eighth grade, but will dredge my brain to help you. :D

paul

Hey, sorry for not being clear - it's a looooong-term project where we need to research (actually talk to experts is recommended) and write about something (like how the Civil War affected slavery, the topic can't be too broad, like for example Israel's history). In the end, I will have a big posterboard with research, information, facts, trivia, etc. :)

bluenow

I'm dredging Paul and nothing is coming up - just muck :)

Your ideas sound great. My suggestion would be to first think of what really interests you, then think of the expert in that field that might be available to you for an interview. Since you are in New York the expert part should be easy. Your local college would be a good resource for experts - the teachers.

If you do phobias you could bring in a little tank with spiders or if you have a little snake to set next to your presentation- lots of people have those phobias. A psychiatrist or psychologist would be a good expert interview.

Maybe somebody else will have some ideas :idea: , if I think of anything I'll write again.

black_mamba

Research is easy, and I can see that you've chosen topics that interest you already. Nice one, esp with the rollercoasters. ;)

Interviewing is easy too - you'll have you're questions down on paper so its just like reading out a script. Phone, face to face, or maybe if you're lucky, via email, it can be really fun too.

As for the rollercoasters; there are several websites that try and teach young people about physics through rollercoasters and thrill rides. Most of the people running these sites have a deep interest in the history of them too and are usually very friendly via email. Do the interviews have to be face to face??

Oh and, do you have to research lots of topics or just choose one from your list?

:D

allanboy

hey, try looking for those in wikipedia.org, such a great site for finding things, you may get lucky on those topics.

paul

thanks everybody -- I have been to wikipedia many times, so helpful :D and mamba, thank you for inspiring confidence about the interview -- I was abit nervous about that