urge to perform mental rituals

I've had ocd for the past 4 years. In that time, I've learned how to ignore the bad thoughts that pop into my head. Lately though, I can't shake certain thoughts that cause anxiety. I feel like I have to analyze them to no end and convince myself that they're not true. I wish I could just let them go, but I don't feel right doing that. What should I do?

durda_dan

what inda of things are you talking about?
i have harmful thoughts a lot. and i read a serial killer book, i am convinced i am a serial killer most of the time.
i need to analyse my past life, my childhood, all my past experiences to convince myself otherwise, and it works for about a day. and then new thought, a new game. and i need to re-convince myself that infact as a child i didn't torture animals, i love my cat
Bam -i need to convince myself i have a loving family and that they never mentally abused me
Bam - i need to convince myself that i never caused harm to anyone and that pushing someone into a subway track is probably a bad idea.
I constantly need to reasure myself...is that like you too?

Yeah, that sounds like me. I have to convince myself that whatever pops into my head isn't true. Like if I'm worried about harming a family member, I have to say in my head, "I would never harm this person." And I have to fully believe it for me to let it go. If I don't, then I restart the ritual.

durda_dan

i enjy relaxing and playing videogames. i don't have time to play much, so i spend most of my time with my girlfriend or reading(usually reallying on the metro)

noopnoop

fuck man i have this shit to.... i think my advice would be

ANALYZE IT ONE TIME and then let it go anytime you think about it remind your self

you already analyzed it
its in the past
everybody has exact thoughts that are related to you
and just say fuck it and think about other shit

i think after that you wont think so much imo

isnteasy

Been there

Damn, I had this exact same thinking problem for a few years. It recently went away because my mind picked up something new (way worse) What I had to do though was I had to FULLY understand everything.. things would pop into my head and i'd have to seriousely think it out until my mind was satisfied with the outcome.. Even if I totally understood it, my mind would doubt me and say I didn't fully get it. Sounds weird but it ate up a lot of time. What I found worked really well was doing your best NOT to think about it when it pops up and eventually you forget about it.. i know it's super hard to do honestly but it worked a few times.. Do it enough and u'll get better and better at it.

For me, it's all about rituals that don't make sense now. For instance.. I have tourettes as well and if I move or flex my arm a certain way, my OCD will say "you didn't do it THIS way or THAT way" so i'll try it again and again and again until i'm exhausted and every single time, my OCD makes up something that I didn't do that i was "Supposed" to do while flexing my arm. I know that makes NO sense but it's very distressing and causes tons of anxiety because sometimes I'll just let it go and it'll bother me saying that I didn't do it right.. Usually i'll obsess until i sit down and try it again and hopefully get it "right" it's a never ending cycle!!

Does anyone here know if an urge or obsession like that will go away afterwhile if you DON'T attempt the ritual?

BTW, if you aren't on any SSRI's or anything, i'd recommend getting some 5HTP at any store.. It puts serotonin back in your brain and seems to help BIGTIME!! I've been on it now for a few weeks.

I do that too, where I have to think about things until my mind is satisfied (even if I'm satisfied). I'm trying to break the cycle but it's hard.

I know what it's like to have to do things over and over again until it's just right. The best thing I did was I stopped doing it one day. It bothered me at first, but if you find a way to distract yourself, you'll forget all about it. Good luck!

isnteasy

You know what? I actually just got this book last week called the OCD workbook and it tells you exactly that!! it's main focus on breaking free from OCD.. pretty much ANY OCD ritual or thought ritual is to just let the anxiety be there and DON'T act on it.. that means, don't try to think about it till yer satisfied or don't perform whatever ritual.. It's SOOOOO hard but each time you do it, afterwhile, yer mind thinks of a NEW one and you forget all about the old one.. and you just keep doing the same thing everytime a new compulsion or obsession pops into yer head. Afterwhile, they start getting shorter and fewer until you barely even notice it anymore.. I have to say that it's working SOOO much better than I thought it would. It's very uncomfortable at first but if you stick with it, your brain gets bored. It's the process of habituation..

it gives this analogy:

Pick a name that means something to you.. like a loved one or something. Say it once and it'll have great meaning and impact behind it. Say it 100 times over and over again and on that 100th time, it probably won't have nearly as much impact.. because your mind habituated to the name.. OCD works the same way. If your brain is bugging you about some obsession, let it keep bugging you WITHOUT performing the ritual and eventually that obsession will lose it's meaning. It totally works!!

Thanks