University- I am so very screwed and freaking out

TheNewZero

I was supposed to start an online university in January. Problem number 1: I didn't want to do uni, I've been doing it for 3 years and I'm so done. I recently got engaged and pregnant, and my fiance and I both decided that it would be better if I were a stay at home mom, so really there is no immediate need for me to get my degree. My parents were really, really pushing me to complete school, and they wanted me to do it now because they thought that if I held it off I would never get it done, especially with a baby on the way. So we decided that the best thing for me to do would be to get an online degree, and I stupidly signed up for 5 courses this semester. Well, courses were supposed to start 17 January. I moved to England to be with my fiance on the 10th, and was so busy with unpacking and adjusting that I just didn't bother to go online and look at my coursework.

A week went by and I started to freak out. I didn't have my books, I didn't do the first week of discussions, and I just got scared and didn't even want to think about logging in. I would load the page to log in, click the log in button, but then get a huge amount of anxiety and just exit the page. A week turned into two, turned into three, turned into four and I still didn't log in. As the weeks went by I started thinking of more things to worry about, like what if the teachers had emailed me to ask where I was, and what would I say, and how many papers did I miss. Finally I got myself to log in and try to sort through the courses, but it was all too much. There were too many courses, readings, discussions, papers, all of which was on a really confusing website where you had to poke around to find where everything was. I posted in a few discussions, but never got into the daily habit of posting.

Last week I finally decided to sit down and get things done, and I made out a schedule so that I would work on one class a day. But then I found out that I had two papers due that week, and spent the entire week doing just those two papers, and didn't do any readings or discussions. Now it's this week and I'm desperately trying to catch up, but am finding that I have two more papers due this week, and that there are at least 2 professors who have emailed me asking what the hell I've been doing. One teacher wrote "I see week 5 is the first discussion you've posted in. Please clarify", and another sent me an email saying that he wants me to call him to discuss whether or not I can pass the class at this point in the semester.

I'm really freaking out right now and have no idea what I'm going to do. Add/drop period is already over, so I can't drop any of the classes. I'm getting married in less than a month so I have loads of things to do involving wedding planning, I'm 5 months pregnant and absolutely need to make time to go to the pool everyday to exercise, but I simply can't if I want to complete all my coursework. I tried to do one class load today, and was planning on going to the pool for an hour in the afternoon, but I'm not even close to being done with my coursework and I've been working on it since 10 in the morning. There's no way I can do this every day, it's killing me. There is no way that I can sit and stare at a computer all day everyday when I'm pregnant, I need the exercise.

I don't know what to do, I'm so upset at myself for waisting my parents' money that they put in for my tuition, and for not sitting down and actually doing things on time for once in my life. Now I've dug myself a huge hole that it looks like I won't be able to get out of.

Sorry for the rant.

bsebring

Honesty, I think your parents expected to much out of you. 5 classes is A LOT of coursework. IMO, you should try your best but don't stress too much. College is a learning experience and now you know not to take on more than you can handle. But I wouldn't give up on school altogether. Since you're finically stable with your husband working, I would just go part time next semester. Worry about what's good for you and your baby, your parents will get over it.

maiato

Banned
Same answer here. U're in a hard time of your life, at least busy. Getting a course gives already work when u are on a full time commitment imagine now.

My advice first is just make the call to your teacher. I know it brings lot of anxiety but after u are done u'll be feel better. Just be honest tell that u've been quite busy later cause of the pregnance, wedding and moving place and then just ask if is possible to still post the other weeks.

After that make a schedule to yourself to try to do some of the works ( dont get anxious to make it all) and have a converstation with your future husband about everything is into your mind right now. U will feel much better.