Understanding the difference...

PunkyMonkey

I met with my new therapist this morning. We talked about my problems, and where I get anxious, and whatever. Then I filled out these little tests that rated my anxiety and depression. Well, when we were done with that, she told me that I have more of a general anxiety disorder than social anxiety. Everything she told me made a lot of sense. Especially with my feelings of anxiety in all of my situations and my panic attacks. I'm still confused though, I think. I've always been afraid in social situations, that's where my anxiety kicks in. It's around other people and because of other people. That's why I suffer. She said, though, the reason that I have this trouble is not from just social anxiety, I have trouble in social situations because of my overall anxiety. Well, she said SA meant that I would have anxiety during only some situations, like only meeting new people, or being anxious doing things like eating or writing.
OK...so where's the difference? My anxiety is everywhere....everywhere where I'm around people. I'm fine at home, alone, or being somewhere with my friends and that's it. So, how do you draw the line, being always anxious in these social situations? Sure, I worry about tests and jobs, but aren't those kinds of anxieties normal? Those worries are social worries, too.

Overall...it went well. I think she can really help me a lot, whatever my problem is. Other good news is that I have an appointment later this afternoon to get a prescription for some medication.

But can anyone help me with my confusion?

steve1

I personally would have a good read through these forums and if you can relate to a lot of these peoples anxiety problems then i would safely say you can do a self diagnosis. And if your therapist has not covered this field then they wont fully understand S.A and it would be a waste of time for both of you.....good luck

My_shrink

SA meant that I would have anxiety during only some situations

A strange thing to say. Does this therapist believe that anxiety is something
which only kicks in during some situations and then goes away completely
when you're not exposed to that situation?

If you have a problem with interacting with people then you for sure
have a degree of social anxiety, that is what social anxiety is.

Sure, I worry about tests and jobs, but aren't those kinds of anxieties normal?

Social anxiety is more normal than people think, i notice plenty of people
who cope in a bad way with social situations, even if they are outgoing.
Many of the people who are loud and agressive and outgoing have fears
about social situations, but they have found a way they think they can
cope, a bad way.

And it isn't any more rational or "normal" to worry about things like
tests or jobs then it is to worry about people, people are way more
complicated actually.