Underlying Cause - Anxiety?

blueherron

Around 2 years ago, I started sweating on my hands, arm pits and feet when I would get anxious. I have always had sweaty feet and a bit of hand sweat...but it seemed to worsen (I am in my late 30's). Since then, I have been treating with 1.5 mg of Robinul daily and ionto for my hands. Drysol for my feet off and on. I've also cut out all caffeine from my diet.

I don't sweat constantly, just when I get nervous/anxious and it is obviously a vicious cycle. If I start sweating a little now, I get more nervous which causes more sweat and so on. Like if I have an event or something to go to I get nervous and start sweating, once I relax, that seems to go away. The treatment schedule I am on works pretty well unless I get really stressed.

I took Xanax recently for a couple of weeks to help alleviate some anxiety I was having and it seems to help with my nerves big time and level me out. Also helps me to not focus and worry about sweating so much.

I believe that my underlying cause of the excessive sweating and reason I have started taking Robinul and doing Ionto is because of a constant anxiety/anxiousness that I have. I'd love to be able to do less ionto or take less Robinul and wonder if I am combating the symptoms of anxiety rather than addressing the underlying problem.

I've read a lot online about anti-anxiety meds and the side effects scare me (of antidepressants, e.g. Paxil, Zoloft, etc.), loss of sex drive, weight gain, sweating, etc. I do know that Xanax helps and have also read up on Buspar. Anyone with experience in this area have advice? Is tackling the anxiety with meds or some other treatment a good and valid approach?

Last edited:

JayHender

In my case certainly I have always tried to stay away from tablets as much as possible. Mainly due to side effects that come with taking forms of medication. I was given therapy to help with mental issues. I found this very helpful as I found it hard to talk to close friends and family about my issues. I feel that a therapist is a good way forward and is something you should inquire about, if you have not done so already.