UGGH! Unbelievable.

Moonie

Isn't funny how quickly people pick up on your quietness? The other day I was buying a bottle of alcohol (LOL) and the cashier said to me, "Are you always this quiet?" I sort of laughed and said "yeah." That was the quickest encounter I ever had with someone pinpointing me - so to speak. I hate it when people always tell me that I am so quiet, etc. Yeah it's true, but when people label me as such, I feel like there is no way of ever changing. It stinks.

Moonie

He didn't really say it rudely, though. It was more of a "friendly" observation, but I can see how it could be rude if said in a different tone.

Tryin

Observations like this may sometimes mean that we are ACCEPTED the way we are, not LABELLED. The cashier might only have been trying to make friends. Quiet isn't an insult, is it? But I understand how annoying it can be, when people always seem to recognize your quitness above any other features.

xkiss_me_nowx

haha. yes it is annoying when people label you, but i probably think he was trying to be funny/friendly more than anything.

jamez

That cashier seems very observant aye? It can definitely be annoying if said in the wrong way by the wrong person, otherwise I don't mind if I'm cool with that other person.

emmdee

I know exactly what you mean... I get the same thing.
The other day at school, my old english teacher randomly walked into my civics class, and after talking for a bit and disrupting everything he came up to me and was like "So, have you talked yet this year?"
I was like....
Kay?

Tryin

emmdee said:
I know exactly what you mean... I get the same thing.
The other day at school, my old english teacher randomly walked into my civics class, and after talking for a bit and disrupting everything he came up to me and was like "So, have you talked yet this year?"
I was like....
Kay?

Oh. And he probably though he was being nice and friendly. Where did this people left their empathy?

LittleMissMuffet

Moonie,

Instead of letting others impressions of who you are lock-you-in and effect you more than you want them to:-
try this way of thinking about such experiences...

"I am the witness of other peoples' thoughts and impressions about me"

Let them have their labels -their way of understanding their (and remember, not your) world. The more room you give to different or unfavorable viewpoints, impressions and even labels, the more room you give to your own and the ones you want to give more to yourself.
(By giving room, I mean taking the 'observer stance'; this way a person does what is necessary, when it is necessary, to defend themselves or object to what others think or do; but they also take the hurt out of what is done to them.)

This above tactic (that by the way, I pinched and altered a little from www.mindfulrecovery.com) puts you at what is called the third opinion -this is the power position, because it's smack bang in the middle between what others think of you and what you (want) to think of you. And the better at staying in this middle space the better at steering the whole scenario the way you want it. And it gives this control at the same time that it takes the force out of any perceived injuries to a person's sense of self.

Another thing is to notice when you're caring too much and devoting too much energy to what people think of you.
...but this second thing complements the first method.