Tutoring

JWH

Does anyone here have experience with tutoring at university? I'm not so much worried about the people, but that I may not always have the answers and marking. Also, how many groups should I be taking?

Chilling__Echo

as in you're going to be the tutor? sounds awesome, money for studying with someone else basically. it's alright if you don't have all the answers but remember that a tutor isn't there to just spit out answers, more help the person understand and guide them to find answers. about # of groups, depends on how long you're with them.

JWH

Yeah, it's tutoring for one of the larger courses in the faculty. Maybe about 15 students in a class. The tutorials run for 2 hours and there are 2-3 slots 4 days a week.

I mean, I know from past experience that the quality of tutors is not usually very high, but I still fear the responsibility of it all.

Chilling__Echo

ohhhh my goodness, did not realize that the "classes" were that big!!

i hear "tutor" and i think one on one, hour every couple of nights... couragous you!

but the hours sound pretty good. i'm not sure how hours are calculated in austrailia, but here they recommend that if you're a full time student and have a part time job (which is basically what you're doing) they say school should be 12 hours (or semester hours) and work no more than 20 hours a week

regarding responsibility, you must be pretty good at what you're teaching right? what kind of requirments do you have to fufil to be in that position (are there any?)

JWH

Well, my student days end today actually! So, this will be my first and only source of employment unless I decide to do some work experience additionally.

You don't, that's the thing - I was offered a tutoring job last year in a subject I was completely hopeless with. At least I'm more comfortable with this topic. Requirements-wise, I'm still waiting for the email but generally, we will have to participate in online discussions as well as help out in the computer labs for those 2 hour sessions. So that leaves me worried with the amount of classes I should be taking - take too many and I may end up with a lot of online work.

Yossarian

Congratulations Jane??? Well it would seem people have faith in your talents so go for it. I only did a bit of facilitating once but it was cool. Admittedly it was with adults which helped....but if it doesn't work out you can always quit.

They should train you right? Besides what do you have to lose? ok SP aside.... it could be a good step forwards. Helping people is cool. It might even give you confidence which could spread to other areas of your life. It's sure better than doing nothing and wondering what if.

Hope what ever you choose to do works out well though.

JWH

Nah, I wouldn't say so. I just asked if there were tutoring jobs available. What was it you did? Didn't you say before you hadn't had a job?

Well, I've already done this course as a student. I guess that's training enough. Indeed. I have just come from doing a 2 week course, and surprisingly I enjoyed being around the people. They did notice my tendency to isolate myself which someone mentioned later, but it all comes with practice - something tutoring will help with for sure.

Yossarian

:oops: Ah it was just volountary.... if you consider having my benefits cut unless I did it volountary. Plus it was only 2 weeks and just a basic course for beginners, introducing them to word and stuff. Nor was it teaching, just helping out when people got stuck. So not really tutoring but hey it was cool. Nice to know my lack of working is what stands out :(

I'm not really sure what your tutoring would involve. Do you need to create lesson plans and stuff? What is the course as well, if you don't mind me asking?

Anyways typical SP, they wouldn't of offered you a job unless they thought you were capable. So if it's something that you think you might enjoy, you should definately give it a go. I'm sure you'll kick ass :)

JWH

Actually. I wouldn't mind teaching adults basic stuff like that when I'm out of work. Do you think you could ever get another job like that?

Well from what I can see, the tutoring would involve answering questions, doing a few in-class demonstrations, marking and online discussions. All the information is given out by the lecturer in either online notes or the lecture, so there's no work to do in that respect. The course will be teaching the basics of 3D architectural visualisations in 3D Max.

I really do enjoy finding solutions though. I hope I can get the anxiety out of the way early on in the course.

Yossarian

I have thought about doing it again in some form or another. At the end of my time there the guy in charge tried to get me some paid work because he and the students all thought I did a good job. Unfortunately the woman in charge just offered me volountary work doing research for some reason.

I did plan to try and find some part time work at the college while I studied further. It's a path many people there took and I got on well with the other tutors but SP and depression blah, blah. I think it's still a possibility in the future.

Yeah it is good finding solutions. Do you like problem solving in general? what about puzzles etc? I think that's why I'm enjoying programming. I'm new to it and finding it a bit overwhelming at times but I like the fact it is logical and creative at the same time.

I'm sure once you get into the course you will quickly get comfortable. As long as the students are ok. If you're unsure of things at first you'll soon learn what you need to know. Plus it's a social situation where most of the time you will know what to say and what you do say will be helpful and useful. I found that a great help and really enjoyed it in the end. I hope it works out well for you too. It might be a great next step to take.

JWH

What was it you were studying? How long ago was this?

Oh my mathematic problem solving skills are shit. Don't give me numbers or logic in any mathematic form, I just can't handle it. English is a different story - my essay writing I've been told is very analytical. Anyway, I learn best through demonstration and experience and I like passing this knowledge on. That's the best way I can describe it. Once I have a method, I know how to come up with the answers for others.

Thanks for the support.

Yossarian

oh when i was facilitating I was just doing a computer applications course (office skills lol) but I was going to do another course which I did start eventually. It was general computing: programming, systems analysis (yawn), hardware etc.

I prefer demonstrations and experience too. I tend to wander off during lectures where people just talk to you. Well if you like passing on knowledge that's another reason to do the tutoring. The more you talk about it, the more I think you should definately try it. It can really boost your confidence helping others. As long as they want to be helped lol.

I definately veer towards maths and logic. Language is too subjevtive for me. I do like words, or at least playing with them. It's just I could spend forever trying to say hello, let alone do an an essay or something. It takes me long enough to post here sometimes.

I downloaded a free 3D program a while ago but it just confused me lol Hey no need for thanks, that's what we're here for. I just hope you can contain the anxiety to go for it. Good luck and all that.

Yossarian

I didn't understand a word of that Jane but thanks anyway :D I reckon I'm a long way off thinking about graphics. I'm struggling to make GUIs. Plus I made the mistake of following your Kingdom of loathing link.... good thing it's limited to what you can do per day. I'm very easily distracted.

So have you taken the tutoring up yet? If so when do you start etc?

JWH

Oh uni starts on the 28th of Feb I think. I still haven't got the email regarding the times back yet. He's pretty slow at responding however. Still I'm not holding my breath. If he doesn't respond, I'm going on holiday!

GUIs for programs? Sounds complex. Yeah, KOL was amusing until I discovered the cheats. :)

Yossarian

Ooo holiday sounds cool!! Is it summer kind of time in australia? Not that that's got anything to do with anything.....euch bad english :oops: I hate waiting for things, I like to know what's going on but you sound very cool about it all. Especially as you can't lose, what with the holiday. College and unis are always disorganised I guess.

I wish Guis were complex... well for my ego I do. Nah there cool just tedious. I did manage to write a very basic Paper Scissors Stone game today with BUTTONS wooo hoooo!!! It's just windows and stuff, nothing creative.

Ah cheats...... how they tempt you only to ruin you.... I'll ask when I get stuck lol

JWH

Well, I got an email. We have to do tutor training for 2 hours. Fun, fun. No holiday for me! No, I'm not cool about it but I've spent my life getting worked up over small things then just giving up too easily.

Summertime, yeah. It's pretty mild though, really it's the humidity if anything that is a bugger.

Ahh. Post it up somewhere. They need a multimedia gallery here. How long have you been programming anyway? It's pretty cool that you can do something like that.