Trying to seek help, but not going well!

Ana

Ok, well I'm 16 years old and I'm 99.9% sure I have OCD and depression. For one, both run in my family (almost everyone has one or the other). Secondly, I phoned a mental health counciler and they said it sounds like I have OCD and depression.
So, next step is to seek help right? Wrong, not for me. I have to sit around for a few weeks gaining the confidence and respect for myself to be able to walk into a building and say 'I need help'. With me it's like pulling teeth.
My doctor can't do anything because I'm under 18 and he can't medicate me because of that. The mental health counciler said that I need help now, to visit the hospital. What do I do?
My family isn't helping any longer. The one person that has always been there for me keeps saying 'your feeling sorry for yourself'. My siblings are calling me names and degrading me on a daily basis. Life stinks! I just need one person in my life daily, that can give me a hug and say 'I understand'. Is it too much to ask for?
I don't want to sound agressive or really suicidal or anything but I'm honestly afraid that if I don't get help soon I may return to my suicidal thoughts again. I don't want to hurt myself anymore, I'm tired of crying daily and just feeling down. I'm tired of holding my breath and wishing to die.
I really wish all the hurt would go away!

Aoeu

Ana said:
So, next step is to seek help right? Wrong, not for me. I have to sit around for a few weeks gaining the confidence and respect for myself to be able to walk into a building and say 'I need help'. With me it's like pulling teeth.

It may seem this way however you have posted here asking for help (I realize this forum is much more anonymous than speaking face to face with a therapist) which is big first step in seeking help. Give yourself credit for taking this step.

Ana said:
My family isn't helping any longer. The one person that has always been there for me keeps saying 'your feeling sorry for yourself'. My siblings are calling me names and degrading me on a daily basis. Life stinks! I just need one person in my life daily, that can give me a hug and say 'I understand'. Is it too much to ask for?

My gut reaction is to ask your parents for help with seeing a psychologist/therapist that specializes in OCD/depression. I'm not a professional in this field so I don't know specifically what the best courses of action are for you if you can't get assistance from them.

Perhaps printing out some information on OCD from http://www.ocfoundation.org/ may be enlightening or help them understand what is going on in your head, especially if you highlight parts which you identify with.

If you can't get help from your parents then perhaps a school councilor could be of assistance. I don't really know of other resources for someone under 18 to get help but I'm sure there are other methods. I would recommend calling the Mental Health line you contacted before and see if they have other *specific* recommendations. If they tell you to visit a hospital you may want to ask them, "who do I talk to when I get there?", "what do I say to this person to get help?", "what is the best way for me to find a hospital?". I find that getting very specific recommendations can alleviate some anxiety when seeking treatment.

Hope some of this helps.

prince1

Diffrent doctor, i got told i had to be over 18 to take medication but then was prescribed paxil at the age of 16 by a diffrent better understanding doctor.

Ana

Thank you both!
I have asked the mental health councilor who I ask for and what I say. I have all the information and what not to go and get the help but I'm having trouble motivating myself and telling myself that it's the right thing to do.
As for my doctor, he is extremely understanding. He has been my doctor since I was born and we live in a small town so it's a tight nit community. He has been helpful, in the way of providing information and support but he said that I need to see someone more qualified in regards to mental health.
Thank you both again, for your help and suggestions.