Trying to do more

RossMc

I started out as a child with severe social phobia, but right now, it's only mild to moderate. I am 52 years old, currently separated from my wife for 2 years, waiting for a divorce. I have two children. I try to increase my level of going out and meeting people. Over the past two years, I have made one friend at work that I hang out with sometimes after work, also one computer pen pal that I have been writing to maybe 3-4 times a month, plus I spend more time with my children. I started going to church again 6 months ago, and I go maybe twice a month. I also joined a computer dating service where I have been on dates with three women, though it didn't work out.

harlseq

If you're actually getting dates, then you're probably doing pretty good. By trying to do more, do you mean you're trying to get more friends?

RossMc

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, part of doing more is trying to make more friends, but I have to push myself. Part of my problem is that I look and sound different from a lot of other people. I grew up in a fairly remote, backwater place and I have a strong regional accent that makes people stare. Of course, I live in the Northeast USA, the capital of phony toughness. I am tired of guys with soft hands who ride to the office on loud motorcycles, crushing handshakes, people that brag about growing up in Gloucester- Where I live it has the reputation of being the poor white capital- sort of the South Boston or Pawtucket of the North Shore.