Trying CBT

Snerkable

Ok, i'm at college living with room mates and I've been attending sessions with my college psychologist who has given me a sheet full of "cognitive distortions"

I've had social phobia for quite some time, and I realize that I have a lot of automatic thoughts, like when I walk down my campus I'll compare myself to other people and how inferior I am to them.. how better they are to me... more socially competent.. etc. etc. and I fear they're judging me. I've learned to pick up on these thoughts and I recognize they're the root of my poor self-confidence and social phobia, however... i've yet to be able to surmount them and I still have them. I'm starting off small by trying to get it to where I can walk in public and not assume strangers are thinking i'm lame and dumb and incompetent. Then I'll work up from there. I've already noticed that I have been a little more confident, and have felt secure opening myself up a little bit... and I know it's only going to be a matter of time before I break this irrational cycle.

I was wondering. Who else has tried CBT? How effective has it been for you? How did you overcome your automatic thoughts and cognitive distortions? How long did it take you?

Hi Snerkable,

I didn't have much luck with CBT. But there's something that's similar to CBT that has helped me a lot. It's called Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT).