Trouble picking out clothes and shopping...

chrisjurban

I have that classical social phobia symptom: fear of shopping because it feels like everyone is watching you and judging you. So usually I don't go at all because I don't want to deal with that fear. But I also have trouble picking out clothes for myself to buy and to wear. I know I have a good fashion sense. But I kind of freak out when I'm forced to kind of relax and pick clothing and accessories. I can't seem to do it, especially when people are around at all. Even in the morning, when I anticipate that people will see what I am wearing later in the day, I can't pick out clothes. I end up dressing weirdly a lot of the time. This parallels to what happens to me in conversation. Gah.

JamieD

I'm the same. It's pretty annoying. But i manage it eventually. Not without ending up sweaty and blushing of course. lol

DafT

Well I've almost completely run out of clothes due to the same problem, coupled with putting on weight at a rapid rate. It took a few weeks before I could muster the motivation to go last weekend, and then after not being able to find anything in the stores I'd visited, I walked into another and couldn't find my way out of the the womens section, so I panicked, and gave up. I rushed off to the book store and bought two books before going home. The drive back wasn't fun either.

Now I'm even more scared of trying again :confused: Its almost like I need someone with me to guide me through the process, but after thinking that I feel like a pathetic child.

Anyway, I know how you feel ::(:

Me too, which is why I do all my clothes shopping online. I hate shops in general though, I always feel really self conscious. But there is something about clothes shops that just fill me with anxiety.

beastie

I only go shopping on week days in the morning, way less people. Maybe try picking out your clothes the night before, one less thing to worry about before you go out.

sevenroses

I usually just buy clothes from Walmart cause not much people look at you and you do your own thing plus the prices aren't too bad lol.

Pookah

I'm not the best at matching things and such, I don't like dressing rooms either. I always walk in on someone cause the locks never lock. I try to buy my size in whatever is cheap and appealing and then run for it.

EscapeArtist

Oh my god yeah, I've been like that also, ever since I can remember. When I was younger my mom used to take me to a store, and say "If you don't find 2 things by the end of the day, you're grounded" for this same reason.

Shop online?

Fighter86

I personally do like shopping, its one of the last things left in my life really. If I had the budget, I would probably buy up whatever I like in sight and feel much better already. Have you thought about shopping online? I don't shop online myself, but I've seen online sites having very trendy and lovely clothing, you can get accessories on them as well. While I don't have experience in online shopping, I still feel for accessories, the ones in shops tend to be nicer than the ones sold online.

Hi, I don't know how long ago you posted this thread, if it's old I apologize. I came here because I am having similar issues with clothes shopping. Funny enough my anxiety isn't so bad now that it's been blunted by the anti-depressants I'm on. It hasn't been a big issue in a while. I can actually go into a store by myself, go through the whole process of browsing and shopping. The discomfort and sweaty palms are still there, just not so much that I can't think straight.
My issue now is not so much the act of going out and clothes shopping, I do it once or twice a month, and often find that I am most comfortable doing it at certain times of the day at certain days of the week, like in the middle of the day before the kids are out of school and during the week or on a Sunday, the less busy days. I feel most comfortable going to places outside of where I live. I'm less anxious either in urban places where people don't really recognize me, or in very quiet always empty stores like this peaceful antique shop we have downtown. The lady that works there is really nice in a genuine way.
The problem I have now is that I just literally can't seem to ever be able to piece together a functional outfit. This problem became noticeable to me after I entered my late teens and wanted to be taken more seriously/look pretty. The graphic tee shirts will always have a place in my heart, but I feel ready to move up to the next level. Only problem is I have no bleeping clue what that looks like on me since there are like you said, ZILLIONS of style options.
I get stressed out by a) The choices b) The prices c) Whether it was ethically made d) the fit. I wish I could say that I'm no longer ruled by my social anxiety but I still am. I don't go out sometimes (sometimes frequently) just because I'm afraid people will point out how weird, stupid, or ugly I look. I have encountered these criticisms in the past so I feel like my rational thinking has been warped by these situations. When I leave the house I either am wearing something so neutral that I am confident that no one will see me, or something very noticeably frumpy or funny looking. It's all very exhausting and I wish there was a machine that we could step into and you could just make perfect fitting nice clothes materialize out of thin air. I'm sorry this comment is a novella. Maybe there's something in here that can help you, if not, again I'm sorry. Hope you're doing okay.

Last edited: