Trick that helps me with SA

Weirdo

It's really simple. I remember how a couple years ago I had a hard time with looking people in the eyes. But one day I just told to myself "How come people can look at me whilst talking and I can't? It's no big deal, I can do that too!" Since then, I have no problems with it. :) So, whenever a difficult situation arises, just say to yourself "I can do that too!" Hope that helps. :wink:

^lol

But yeah social phobia is a phobia, which means it's an irrational fear, and there's really no reason for it, so simply saying "I should be able to do this" doesn't help much

TomB

only "tricks" i have ever found to help, one is depriving myself of sleep and the other is caring a paperclip in my palm and pushing it into my skin to feel the pain, but not to cut or bleed, odd but it does help me.

creep_x

i do like the idea, i have used it for a long time.. when u put urself in others shoes & others in urs u relaize more strongly that ur phobia is irrational

Weirdo said:
It's really simple. I remember how a couple years ago I had a hard time with looking people in the eyes. But one day I just told to myself "How come people can look at me whilst talking and I can't? It's no big deal, I can do that too!" Since then, I have no problems with it. :) So, whenever a difficult situation arises, just say to yourself "I can do that too!" Hope that helps. :wink:

olivia22

thanks ill tri dat.....dats one thing i really really need to start doing if i want to make friends</3

Off The Wall

Hm yes, no that doesnt really help. I can look people in the eye it's just like uncomfortable and i feel like i'm staring or like it feels weirdly romantic? hahaha. I don't really enjoy glazing into someones eyes while we have a conversation...i usually look for a bit then look away then look.. like i get weirded out when people keep eye contact when we are talking not because of SA.. i don't think.. just cause it's creepy lol.

Are you suppose to keep eye contact? i guess you are..

olivia22

yeah my my teacher told me its rude if u dont cuz she was talkin to me and i wasent lookin at her and she said that soo loud the whole class was like staring at me i felt like crying

reslo

ive also read that if you say mentally the phrase "I welcome you" before you look at people it can also help with eye contact.

commenter39

My friend it s not that simple to deal with it.And u know that as well.otherwise why do u think this illness has millions of sufferers.Because they are not as smart as u?My words for Weirdo by the way.