Tolerance to Adderall & Prozac

Nick9075

I have been taking a combination or Adderall, Prozac & Neurontin for a few months. It has helped my SA but may be in part to the manic side of possible undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder. I feel very jittery a few hours after taking the Adderall as well like 40MG a day total doesn't do much.. Many times I also feel amped up like on speed. Is it possible that I may be in a hypomanic/Manic state & not know it?? I think I am going to find another doctor. This one just wants to adjust doses and doesn't think I could possibly Bipolar. I am on 60MG of Prozac & 1200MG of Gabapentin a day as well

metamorphosis

A couple of things, first as Nick9075 mentioned. It would be good to get a second opinion. I don't know how long you have been seeing your doc or pdoc for.
Concerning the medications-
Prozac can tend to be one of the more energizing SSRI's available along with zoloft. There is a condition known as Bi-Polar 3. It occurs when certain people who take an SSRI become hypomanic. It usually abates with discontinuation of the med. I believe you are on 60mgs. Which is well above the common starting therapeutic dose of 20mgs.

Adderall is typically prescribed for ADHD and ADD. I do not know if you have been diagnosed with either. Are you taking the instant release adderall or the XT spanules? The spanules release the amphetamine slowly throughout the day. It offers a more smooth activation of NE and DA. Whereas the instant release quickly attaches to the DAT and NET substrates. Which in turn leads to a quick flow of active NE and DA into the synaptic cleft. The spanules are the way to go imo. That is if you have ADD/ADHD

Neurontin or gabapentin is a voltage calcium channel blocker. Originally used for epilepsy and is used for fibromyalgia and migraines. It is being prescribed "off-label" as an anxiolytic for anxiety disorders. Gabapentin (Neurontin) works by stabilizing electrical activity in the brain. It inhibits excitatory neurotransmitters (glutamate) through voltage calcium channels. It is thought to mimic the activity of GABA. Theoretically it's reduction of glutamate increases the active amount of GABA in the brain. GABA being the main calming NT. It is usually dosed by body weight and is often used instead of the more addicting Benzodiazepines. Though gabapentin can cause withdrawals if not titrated down. Another issue is that tolerance builds pretty quickly with gabapentin as well as it's big brother pregabalin.

So, I am curious to know what your official diagnosis is? I think your gut instinct of checking in with a well respected pdoc in your area is the way to go. One last word, do not stop taking any of these medications or playing with dosages on your own. You may need a slow and steady washout period under a competent pdocs care.
Best of luck and keep us informed!:)