Tips wanted for coping with anxiety

nightcrawler

I have some changes coming soon in my job which are causing me anxiety. So far this has been mostly in the form of loss of sleep, and knots/butterflies in my stomach. I went to my doc who prescribed me some anti-depressants (Citalopram) for the anxiety, and some (low dosage) sleeping tabs. I've also just got a book on meditation which I've just started doing/reading, which I'm hoping will also help. I try not to think about these changes at work but it's hard when you spend a lot of the day alone (especially after work) and there isn't much else going on in your life! I have a a week off work next week which I was really looking forward to - before I found out about these changes. Now I fear my week off may be ruined :sad:

Has anyone found AD tabs helpful for anxiety, and how long before they start to help? (I've only been on mine for 3 days so far). Also if anyone has any other coping techniques for anxiety they would be most welcome.

spearhunter

citalopram takes about 4 weeks to work, its really good for social anxiety, but for immediate anxiety relief nothing tops a good old klonopin, except cant take that everyday.

Unspoken

Plan ahead for that week to keep yourself busy. I personally notice that my anxiety is worst when I have time to dwell on it and fuel for my insecurities, such as when I spend a few days just lounging at home. Ideas might be to plan a simple new recipe to try at home for dinner every day that might take up a nice 30-60 minute block of time, go for a scenic bike ride for an hour, or work on organizing your home.

Silatuyok

1. yoga.
2. Ditch the caffeine.
3. Plan ahead to occupy your time, as unspoken said.
4. Remember that humans are experts at adaptation, and you will be able to handle any change that comes your way, given time to adjust.

Gerard

Do exercise specially yoga to handle your anxiety.
Play some sports or participate in some visible activities.
Do some fun activities.
Meat and talk with people.
Try to face all the condition.
Improve your confidence level and handle your matters.

Last edited:
I find that simply telling yourself you are just another person and another statistic helps. No-one genuinely cares if you mess up. They will forget by tomorrow.

Earthcircle

I have some changes coming soon in my job which are causing me anxiety. So far this has been mostly in the form of loss of sleep, and knots/butterflies in my stomach. I went to my doc who prescribed me some anti-depressants (Citalopram) for the anxiety, and some (low dosage) sleeping tabs. I've also just got a book on meditation which I've just started doing/reading, which I'm hoping will also help. I try not to think about these changes at work but it's hard when you spend a lot of the day alone (especially after work) and there isn't much else going on in your life! I have a a week off work next week which I was really looking forward to - before I found out about these changes. Now I fear my week off may be ruined :sad:

Has anyone found AD tabs helpful for anxiety, and how long before they start to help? (I've only been on mine for 3 days so far). Also if anyone has any other coping techniques for anxiety they would be most welcome.

I've been reading the Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook, and it seems to be helping. That's really surprising, because I've tried everything and it's very rare for anything to help. I've only read a couple chapters so far, but that's because you're supposed to read the book slowly. The basic idea is that when you fight anxiety you make it worse, and anxiety largely feeds on being resisted. If you stop fighting it, it will often lessen dramatically. The exception might be the situation where a certain degree of anxiety is useful, as in preparing for something important.