Things you use to help you

Sen

Didn't know what else to title it.
I was just thinking a thread where people could list what they use to help themselves would be useful.

For example, I have two councellors who I talk to every week (not during the holidays though).

The things I find that help most if I'm feeling bad/nervous/panicky or sick are:

kalms tablets (over the counter at a pharmacy)
Paul McKenna has a book called 'instand confidence' which has a CD that goes with it. The CD is brilliant for relaxing I find and giving me the feeling of 'I can do anything'

I also use distractions such as music, books, people to talk to, and if i'm feeling really bad i take my laptop on any train journeys I go on and watch a film.

What does everyone else use when they're in their home and feeling bad about going out or when they are out and start to get that 'I need to escape' feeling?

stevieN

your post is great, I think it will give people ideas on how to cope and treat themselves. I've been counseling 2 women that I know who both suffer with agoraphobia like me. Here's some things we do that help:

Allow yourself a "safety net". I always keep my cellphone with me. I had convinced myself that I can't panic if I have it. Basically because 1. I feel I can call for help, 2. I can play games on it to distract my mind, and 3. I can see pictures of my kids and remember that I have so much to live a normal life for. The women I help have used just a picture, a gameboy, book, and fast acting anxiety pills (Seredyn-herbal supplement). Just having them on me and her reassures me that if I start to panic it will only be 2 minutes til it's all over if I take one.

Thats #2 on the list of things that helped me. Seredyn is an herbal supplement that is fast acting and works great. It has no side effects and basically it calms you down enough so you will have the confidence to do things. I used to take one every morning so I could leave the house, now I take maybe one a week sometimes less. They arene't addicting at all. But you can take up to 3 a day if your anxiety is that bad.

Another thing that helped me is my support team. Also the more knowledge I have about agoraphobia the better I felt. I now know that I'm not crazy, I'm curable, and I also changed my diet which helped a lot.
Cut out some red meat, caffeine, and alcohol, drugs, and sugar. All these things will add to your anxiety. Also take vitamins and exercise. If you start feeling better physically you will feel stronger emotionally that will help you to try new things and live your life.

I'm always here for any support anyone needs, free of charge. Sorry this is so long. Being 23 yrs old and not being able to take a real honeymoon really made me open my eyes and want to change. Don't feel sorry for yourself, cuz no one else will. You must decide you need to change and do it. Ever see that episode with marge simpson and she's agoraphobic so she stays in the basement and works out, then she has the courage to leave the house? That really does work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Sen

Can't remember where you said it (which post) but that episode of the simpsons was on not long ago and it made me laugh.
I lift weights anyway, and it's true, if you've got a good body you feel alot more confident. Just no matter how hard I push myself and how much protein I get into me, and with a regular amount of creatine too the gains are never that much. Hopefully I'm going to get into a stricter regime when college starts again.

edit:
In a double-blind study, 45 drops per day of an extract of passion flower taken for four weeks was as effective as 30 mg per day of oxazepam (Serax®), a medication used for anxiety.9

Other nervines include oats (oat straw), hops, passion flower, American scullcap, wood betony, motherwort, pennyroyal, and linden.
So eat your oats people! Plus they lower cholestrol, and help to flush out your system due to the high levels of insoluble fibre.