There's too much going on in my head, I need help

Toomuchfear

Can anyone identify with me?

I'm an only child, and have had a very lonely life, which is not by my own choosing. I try very hard despite having lots of fears, but I can't seem to get people to like me.
Being so isolated as a kid, I began to think a lot, about my worries, my fears and ideas. As I grew up, it manifested into social phobia. During social situations, I continually worry what the other person thinks of me, that I'm not good enough, or that I will be ignored/interrupted/embarassed (which does happen, so it reinforces my -ve thinking).
My thoughts are constant- I find sleep difficult as there is so much going on in my head, I replay the days events and worry about tommorow.
I find understanding tasks at work very difficult, I find it hard to comprehend what is being said as I'm too busy thinking 'I must listen, I can't do this wrong.'
I find listening to people and having a conversation extremely hard, as I'm worrying so much about myself and how I appear 'What am I going to say next' 'Do they think I'm weird?' .
I have very few friends and I think it may be something to do with my muddled head! I have very little clarity up there, and most of my thoughts are negative, my positive mantras are rejected!

Do any of you guys have any advice for me? it would be VERY appreciated

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

I'm an only child, and have had a very lonely life, which is not by my own choosing. I try very hard despite having lots of fears, but I can't seem to get people to like me.
Being so isolated as a kid, I began to think a lot, about my worries, my fears and ideas. As I grew up, it manifested into social phobia. During social situations, I continually worry what the other person thinks of me, that I'm not good enough, or that I will be ignored/interrupted/embarassed (which does happen, so it reinforces my -ve thinking).
My thoughts are constant- I find sleep difficult as there is so much going on in my head, I replay the days events and worry about tommorow.
I find understanding tasks at work very difficult, I find it hard to comprehend what is being said as I'm too busy thinking 'I must listen, I can't do this wrong.'
I find listening to people and having a conversation extremely hard, as I'm worrying so much about myself and how I appear 'What am I going to say next' 'Do they think I'm weird?' .
I have very few friends and I think it may be something to do with my muddled head! I have very little clarity up there, and most of my thoughts are negative, my positive mantras are rejected!

Well, I can defiantly relate with the sleep part, takes me a long time to fall because my head won't shut up. I replay stuff in my head all the time, sometimes it's good, all lot of times it's not. What I would say is don't try to think less because you will fail, but try to think more positive. If something bad comes up try to think of something else. It's not a cure all, but it does help. Takes some discipline, so you have to be on your toes.

Hal

You said you 'cant get people to like you' and i think that is the problem. Im not brainy or anything but i think you are trying to hard if you can find a thought like 'i dont care if people dont like me' then they might relate to you more coz at the moment you are coming across as desperate to impress which nobody likes.

Relax

Yes I can relate... Just be sure to take care of your sleep though. After a while, insomnia can have a life all its own if it becomes ingrained.

LazyHermitCrab

Hey i'm an only child too. It's like we didn't get a chance to practice communicating with people our own age that much. Also didn't go to preschool.. so entering kindergarden i was like what is this? :eek: I think the more time you spend time alone and overthink, it just makes it harder. Keep trying, there's a lot of opportunities. Learn an instrument or do a sport,ect.. you can't make everyone like you no matter what, but better to have some embarasing memories with some good ones mixed in then memories just hanging out by yourself forever. I admit I do get sucked in being alone a lot, and just think I'll look for a job tomorrow or whatever goal I think of. It's more than just getting a goal though, it's just being out there with a sense of purpose, ect.. Use the negative emotions to maybe inspire you to try something else? ::p:

lunaticbinge

It's amazing how many people's lives on here directly mirror my own. As Dronee said insomnia is a brain killer. All of your mental problems will be bolstered by a lack of sleep.