Therapy stinks

Well, I just started therapy for the first time a few weeks ago and I really, really dislike it. It's so hard talking to a therapist, and she always is asking me how I feel, what do I think about that, etc. I don't know what to say! And I find myself bending the truth a bit to make things easier to say. Like I tried telling her about my disfunctional relationship with my mom and realized afterwards that I made it sound like she treats me horribly and yells at me all the time. Not what I was trying to say! Anyways, I'm just sort of bummed out that it's not working out. I can't really see that it's going to help me at all but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

slimjim119

Give it a chance. It's for your benefit to be completely truthful so you can get the help you need. If you feel it isn't working out, you can always find another therapist. But most will have similar approaches in treatment.

Just try and be yourself and relax. Be truthful and just express your feelings. Try not to second guess what your saying. They are there to help you, not judge you.

NothingElseMatters

unfortunately therapy is the only way to get rid of anxieties.and the truth is we have to go through lots of notworking therapies until we find one that really helps us...but it is better than just sitting there n doing nothing.cause doing nothing makes ppl just more lazy and feel worse.so u should continue trying.dont give up

bunnyhugger

I've just started seeing a counsellor, and I found the first session so cathartic. The only thing is, I want her to like me (or at least not think I'm not a nice person), so I'm wary of expressing some of my darker thoughts, even though that's exactly what I need. I suppose it's because I get to a point with people where I think, "Well, they seem to like me, I'd better withdraw before I do something to make them dislike me", which is one of my less than helpful patterns! Hence my difficulties making friends. :roll:

JonnyD

wow, i do it too!

i think it's an aspect of avoidants, but i'm struggling to be the most sincere i can, i can see that she knows i'm hidding something, but she's not pushing because that's something I NEED TO MAKE FOR MYSELF!

you're wrong when you say that it's not going to help, it's only not going to help if you always keep holding something,

last time i was more sincere then the first time and it's already coming back! i loved the results!

nightsky

I tried therapy once too. God!! It was so nice to be able to actually talk to somebody without worrying what they thought AND have them actually listen and show interest! I figured, I'm here cause I'm messed up, she already knows that, so why not let it out (i am so messed up, somebody should be studying me...really). Problem was during the session, it was like talking to a really great supportive friend (which I've never had), but when the hour was up, she turned back into the 'professional' which was kind of...hurtful. I know its weird, but it was like I had a connection or bond with this person for 45 mins each time that I had never experienced before, but that was acutally pretend, and it killed me. She ended up going on maternity leave after only a few sessions. I haven't been brave enough to go back....