The wisdom of Gnarls Barkley

LittleMissMuffet

I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind
There was something so pleasant about that place.
Even your emotions had an echo
In so much space

And when you're out there
Without care,
Yeah, I was out of touch
But it wasn't because I didn't know enough
I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Does that make me crazy?
Probably [Possibly (radio version)]

And I hope that you are having the time of your life
But think twice, that's my only advice

Come on now, who do you, who do you, who do you, who do you think you are,

Ha ha ha bless your soul
You really think you're in control

Well, I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
I think you're crazy
Just like me

My heroes had the heart to lose their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinking, I wanna be like them
Ever since I was little, ever since I was little it looked like fun
And it's no coincidence I've come
And I can die when I'm done

But Maybe I'm crazy
Maybe you're crazy
Maybe we're crazy
Probably

Uh, uh

I thought I'd put this up. The lines: "Who do you think you are? ....Do you really think you're in control." -are the most clever to me.

And I thought that it was about time that I de-mystified and de-stigmatised this modern-day leprosy we call 'mental illness'.

I feel confident enough to do this now. The passage of time, since losing my job and seeing a psychiatrist and being labelled as 'mentally ill', has afforded me some sense of equlibrium -I'm not as insecure about where I stand and what having a mental illness means for me.
I think that I am justified also to credit the discovery and practise of Mindfulness -both the meditation practice and also the frame of mind and outlook that it is about- with significantly helping me get some balance back. ...I think that this Eastern form of therapy is different to Western kinds and that it breaks away from focussing on one's problems and flaws.

So, now that I feel more sure of my self and less insecure about where I am at I wanted to make some observations -some observations that come from some experience. These are that I honestly believe that seeing a psychiatrist can be damaging to one's self-esteem.

I want to be as fair as possible with my opinions. I accept that, just as I was insecure and unsure, that it is human for any body else to be regarding just the nature of my problems. I understand that even professionals are human. I also understand that a degree of pressure is on them to know what to do.

Yet, given these factors -normal human fear and doubt that comes from not knowing everything, and also the pressure to know what to say and do- I still feel that with my pschiatrist, and perhaps with a good percentage of all psychiatrists also, that some of them simply cross the line as far as 'helping' another is concerned.

I honestly believe that some power tripping is involved. That, more than simple human insecurity and professional insecurity, some of these people in positions of authority about what is 'sane', abuse their power. I think that they may draw too strong a line separating the patient from the therapist -this imaginary line that exagerates a difference between the 'sane one' and the 'insane one'.

But I also need to state that at times, especially before, I was quite insecure my self about how insane I was. So, some of this stigma and fear towards the mentally ill/mental illness is my own projection.
I do need to take this into account.

In any case, knowing the right method to use (mindfulness works for me whilst CBT hasn't), and things like maturity, understanding and empathy -all of these would help with how a therapist deals with their patient.

I truly believe that big differences like having a mental illness, are small emotional differences. I just observe how many so called 'normal' and not "mentally ill" people have such considerable emotional and maturity issues themselves. -This is not wishful thinking, but an honest evaluation of others. It is also wisdom that I have gathered from past experience.

And this understanding would certainly go along way to demistify, de-stigmatise and for that matter- actually cure a person.

Becuase the differences that define who people are outwardly, the status that we have (or who others think we are, or appearance or image) seem solid to us and the difference between what is normal and not normal, likewise seems great and secure ....and yet, the reality of things is that nothing is solid or lasting or premanently secure like this. A wholly different dynamic is at work under the surface -and on this level, the level of REAL reality, it is small emotional differences at work creating these big and solid differences between people that we see outwardly.
...In other words, what we are often shown (the outside appearance and the way people label their world) is an illusion. These definitions and boundaries fall apart and they are definetly not secure even while for a long time they fool all of us into thinking that they are real.

I just thought that it was important to say all this.

And I think that it is important to remember to not give so much authority to those people that supposedly have authority. ...if one of these people acted in a manner that asked you or influenced you to lose faith in your own mind and opinions, then to me that already indicates that they are not worthy of authority over someone else in the first place.

Also, though, is my own insecurities -so, I don't wish to make my psychiatrist appear so horrible. And perhaps what I have gone through is to some degree what a person just goes through when they are coming to terms with a problem and who they are .

And the other thing to say is that Buddhism and Mindfulness don't seem to have the effect of making me feel more insecure about my self.
And maybe that says it all. The right method and understanding cures the problem already and puts a person's confusion and unsure perspective into perspective.