The Rules Of Attraction

Soprano

Hey guys, has anybody seen the film "The Rules Of Attraction", or read the book by Brett Easton Ellis (also Author of "American Psycho")?

I've always loved the film and have just started reading the book.

Does anybody relate to any of these characters portrayed? Just the hopeless and "meaningless", and also the shallow/empty souls of these people I relate to alot.

Not sure I've described it the best way, lol! But I'm sure those of you who have seen the film/book get what I'm sayin',lol! :)

Yeah I love that movie. I haven't read the book though. Bret Easton Ellis' books that have been made into movies are good. I can't wait for "The Informers" to come out.

I definitely identify with the characters because they're just looking for something to make them happy. It was good because even though the characters were depressed the movie wasn't necessarily depressing.

"I need you like I need an asshole on my elbow. An asshole, (lifts elbow up) right here!"

Aww that part kills me every time.

Yep, I love both of those moives. I have never read the books but I LOVE those movies.

The Rules of Attraction is a great film. All of the characters are depressed. Even though they do drugs and have relationships with people they don't enjoy anything in their lives.

I especially love this quote from American Psycho:
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continues to elude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

ohh and this one:
Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it.

Soprano

Yeah Chod, that is a great little monologue at the end there. If you liked the film, I SERIOUSLY reccomend you get the book...it is unbelievable! The content (make sure you have a strong stomach, even for a book) is shocking, to say the least. Brilliant, how they managed to pull a film from it.

Regarding "Rules Of Attraction", I particularly reate alot to Sean Bateman. Empty, shallow, drifting along searching...for something. Cynical, somewhat narsacistic, as are all the characters really. It's great at depicting lost, dissilusioned youth....the youth of past AND present isn't all "American Pie"cliched fun n' games, y'know'?

I'm almost reaching the end of the book. Oh, and incase you guys didn't already know, Sean Bateman (Rules Of Attraction) is actually Patrick Bateman's (American Psycho) little brother, within the film/book Ellis "universe". Clever!

8)