The notion of "being someone else"

SickJoke

The topic "who would you like to be" was in the social anxiety forum. I raised this point in that thread, but I have a feeling people will just continue posting who they'd like to be. So I'll repost it here because it's something I'm interested in.

This notion of "being someone else" has always puzzled me. What part of "me" would get switched with the other person? Would it be a brain transplant? Then I'd have the other person's body, but my mind would be no different than it was before the switch, and I'd end up having the same problems I've always had.

Or would I somehow, selectively choose certain aspects of my personality and insert them into the other person's brain? Would I pick and choose certain memories and beliefs that I like, and put them into the other person's brain?

So what part of "me" would get to "be someone else"? Who am "I"? I am the result of my genes and all of my experiences. To somehow implant certain parts of my personality into someone else - that wouldn't be "me". That would be an entirely different person.

Last edited: