The Loss of ambition

drganon

I feel sometimes I'm too content to just cruise through life and let it happen to me, as opposed to taking risks and chances and trying something new. I'm way too eager to stay within the confines of my comfort zone. But taking major risks or chances has never been a part of who I am, unfortunately.

I've tried to make a point of not having regrets because it will only weigh you down. I've never been really ambitious... I have things I enjoy and want to achieve, but I've never felt the need to 'make something of myself' or 'be a man' or all of those capitalist slogans that are intended to make you feel shame if you don't think and act a certain way.

The truth is that whether or not you achieve things isn't as important as you think, because it will only matter if you let it... and a lot of these things we want only make us happy while we're looking forward to them, and achieving them only makes us want more, or feel disappointed.

We're socially programmed to feel unfulfilled because it provides us with the drive to keep going, to keep working, to spend more money, to buy bigger and better things, etc. But our natural instincts are inclined towards the basics... love, food, sex, shelter, etc... and being happy with less is sometimes the best way to live, ecologically, psychologically, emotionally, etc. It's social pressures that make us want to 'make something of ourselves', even when the system needs more people at the bottom than at the middle and the top. But of course the fact that these social pressures are so widespread is why things like community aren't as important anymore... people are more paranoid, more stuck in their personal entertainment devices and more cut off from nature and each other, stuck in cities and online and all kinds of bubbles and safe places.

I'm not sure what you want to achieve exactly, but a lot of the best things in life are readily available if you're creative and willing to put in a little effort... it can be hard but having a positive attitude towards the things you do have will help a lot more than having a negative one.

On the other hand, it's never good to not be at peace with your current situation... so you can either try to make peace with it, or if it's dragging you down, then maybe taking reckless thoughtless action would be good for you. Just take off on a road trip in the middle of the night and not look back. If your job sucks so much, then surely you can find another sucky job somewhere else... it might even be better than the one you have now.

Some very valid points made...i was listening to a speech by a well respected entrepeneur and philantrapist sp? Here in autralia (**** smith) he was saying how our capitalist society is geared toward perpetual growth...meaning for it to suceed we as individuals need to be brainwashed to always desire more and more of everything, if this trend fails the whole thing collapses...for instance apple stocks went down because the last I phone was too good (yes you read right)...being too good means there will be less desire for the next iteration of the product and thus less growth....the whole system is designed to make us forever unsatisfied and obsessed with constantly wanting more.

The truth is that whether or not you achieve things isn't as important as you think, because it will only matter if you let it... and a lot of these things we want only make us happy while we're looking forward to them, and achieving them only makes us want more, or feel disappointed.

We're socially programmed to feel unfulfilled because it provides us with the drive to keep going, to keep working, to spend more money, to buy bigger and better things, etc. But our natural instincts are inclined towards the basics... love, food, sex, shelter, etc... and being happy with less is sometimes the best way to live, ecologically, psychologically, emotionally, etc. It's social pressures that make us want to 'make something of ourselves', even when the system needs more people at the bottom than at the middle and the top. But of course the fact that these social pressures are so widespread is why things like community aren't as important anymore... people are more paranoid, more stuck in their personal entertainment devices and more cut off from nature and each other, stuck in cities and online and all kinds of bubbles and safe places.
^This is so true.

hidwell

It seems the years of failures and rejections have robbed me of the desire to change anything in my life anymore.

There seems a certain security and comfort in routine, but with the much regretable flip side of remaining stagnant in life with nothing much changing. I’m feeling more and more disconnected and not in control as the years pass me by.

One needs a certain level of energy, enthusiasm and courage for ambitions to be realised, which seem sadly lacking in my life these days.
I mean sure in theory the desire is there to change…I hate working a dead end job in a small town, struggling financially, being in no relationship , and having only family as true friends. I just feel too tired to even try and change any of it anymore.

It’s almost a feeling of resignation that this is the life the universe has chosen for me..no need to try and swim against the current, you will only end up drowning. Its like; I am where I am and the position I am in because this is my lot in life, a destiny of such.

This particular expression of the life force may be one which is designed to experience much heartache and setbacks, but I believe it is still none the less worthy or valued. The universe doesn’t have a concept for experiencing hot without cold, and I am providing some of this cold.

I got thinking the other day, what if I did want to change my life? How would I go about it?

I would have to start from scratch pretty much…move back to the city with just a fast car and no money (que tracey chapman song)….i would then have to spend just about every waking moment of my existence trying to self improve.

I would have to try and give up drinking, while learning how to really scrimp and save on next to nothing while maybe even trying to up-skill yet again. Maybe I would read every Tony Robin book, while also searching for a way to land a dream job without letting anxiety get in my way.

Counciling, study, toast masters, volunteering, job hunting, social networking, job networking, A.O meetings, exercising,…the list goes on and on.

To me, all this sounds that exhausting, I doubt I could find it within myself to even make a start.

..and what say I did make a new start and I was actually making some sort of progress, and all for what??
The universe, if it so desires can change it all in an instant anyway, and I reckon I would find myself back to square one in no time at all…. From past experience when I have made those changes, i have also found that despite my efforts, time after time, due to unforeseen circumstance(s) I find myself being taken down a few pegs..back to where I belong perhaps. Can anyone relate?

This is pretty much how I feel. :sad:

hidwell

Maybe if you get to a level where I am where I have no value in myself at all, then you will no longer even have any expectations for the rest of your life.:idontknow: This is at least one benefit of not having any value in yourself, therefore not having any expectations of living for any real purpose.

This pretty well sums me up.

S_Spartan

As someone told me recently, some people are doers and some people are be'ers.

Maybe we are just be'ers who are living in a society that is hostile to us.