The first time you realised nobody else had rituals?

Musicocd

I was just thinking about the first time I realised for the first time that I was different to other people. I was about 7 and I broke my light switch because I couldn't stop turning it on and off to make sure I'd turned it off and it just occurred to me - why does no one else do this?

Does anyone else care to share their experience?

Musicocd

Vancouver

Yeah, I felt oddly different. I mean, I knew I was a neurotic kid but that didn't seem to justify it. I used to do the 'hang up the phone' thing, before we had cordless phones around the house (bet you all know just what I mean!). I used to take off my shoes over and over again because they weren't tied right or felt too loose... I had numerous problems. Some even worse!!

Luckily I've been over it for 7 or 8 years... but I can still relate to you guys. The one thing that helped me out was just forcing myself to take a breath, and not do whatever it was that was the subject of my problem. Eventually, the need to do it just went away when I realized it didn't matter weather I did it or not. I accepted the OCD, and breaking away comes naturally afterward.

AvinaKo

Vancouver said:
Yeah, I felt oddly different. I mean, I knew I was a neurotic kid but that didn't seem to justify it. I used to do the 'hang up the phone' thing, before we had cordless phones around the house (bet you all know just what I mean!). I used to take off my shoes over and over again because they weren't tied right or felt too loose... I had numerous problems. Some even worse!!

Luckily I've been over it for 7 or 8 years... but I can still relate to you guys. The one thing that helped me out was just forcing myself to take a breath, and not do whatever it was that was the subject of my problem. Eventually, the need to do it just went away when I realized it didn't matter weather I did it or not. I accepted the OCD, and breaking away comes naturally afterward.

My goodness. xD I used to be that way with my shoes-- they always had to be extra-tight. Also, socks... Ugh! I had to wear toe socks all the time when I was younger (and now, it's starting again D<) because the seams felt so weird on my feet. Or, I'd cut off the little toe section of the sock so I wouldn't be able to feel the seam. D; Now that I look back on it, I've pretty much always had some or other form of OCD.
I also had to have everything done onto me evenly. If I had a stubbed left toe, I'd have to stub my right one. Thank goodness, though, that it kind of flickered out a bit before I fractured my left leg.

But... What do you mean with the phone thing?

I never noticed when I was much younger... Or if I did, I forgot... Um, probably around twelve, though.

cbazy

if i drink too much i can go anywhere with anyone with out suddenly counting every window i see, including the windows on downtown skyscrapers. count the columns and multiply, then times it by 4 and then do the next building, finally adding up the amount of windows on a block.

also when i eat something i wash it, and the packging or dishes, over and over. top then bottom then sides. then repeat. till i am satisfied.

when friends watched me wash and rewash dishes and count and multiply windows, and i saw their reactions, i realised that the only people i knew besides myself who had those type of rituals, were all as normally abnormal as me.

it hit me that i was messed up when i watched people react to my behaviors. then i started staying in a lot.