The End Of The World.

brownbag

I've been thinking the end of the world is coming soon.

SARs,9/11,Hurrican Katrina,Tsunami,Bird Flu,Neverending Wars,Nuclear Warfare (especially with Iran still going ahead with the uranium enrichment).

and i believe the movie - The Da Vinci Code - is causing more trouble and getting protests from Christians all over the world and angering them.
(By the false story claiming to be true, and going against their beliefs.)

I'm assuming this would be a period of time when we sa and sp sufferers can actually go out and show our compassion and sensitivity to those who're injured during that time of destruction and chaos, like if we happen to witness someone in need of help along the way. (no doubt the world would be Ending and most ppl running for their lives from destruction etc LoL).
This is a just a viewpoint.

Would you rather have the end of the world come and just end this life for you without you having to have any self-inflicted harm? and finally ending all this misery and unnecessary fears..

Or would just prefer to suffer from some sickness that gives u a limited number of days to live (such as cancer), and simply look forward to the day you die because you have sa/sp?

Also, what are your own interpretations and thoughts about the end of the world, and whether or not you think it's coming soon.

Please give your views and opinions. thanks..

longlivesolitude

Heh very interesting but depressing thread 8O I can see where you are going with all these global problems we're dealing with, but we've probably had these kind of "issues" througout all history. Whether I would want the world to end or just die by a sickness I would say neither one for now. If I should ever get to point where I didn't care about my life at all then I would probably prefer a sickness than apocalypse... Even though I don't really see such a big problem in a apocalypse since it's either something that can be stopped or inevitable and if so there is no reason to spend time worrying (wish I could use that way of thinking when it comes to SA.. heh)

dzerklis

i dunno about the end of the world but were gonna get flooded here in baltics sooner or later damn!

Septor

People been saying the world going to end for the last 1000 years.People are just scared by what they see around them.All these problem we have are nothing new.People have killed each other on mass for thousands of years.

I don't want to see the world end but if it had to.It would be better if it all ended at once.Rather then slow agonizing death but the slow agonizing death is more likely if thereever was a apocalypse.

Quixote

It's odd how you talk about terminal diseases like cancer as if they were a convenient way to put an end to your life. Do you realize how much suffering they involve? Have you ever been seriously sick? Believe me, when you are, the only thing you can think of is how to end physical pain, every other aspect of your life becomes exactly equal to zero. This includes social anxiety, but also "phylosophical" issues like the meaning of life, religious beliefs, your own respectability and "honour"etc... The deeper instincts come back to the surface, and centuries of civilization are swept away.

The same goes for suic*de attempts. Most people just don't realise that pain doesn't go away just because you "do it yourself". A suic*de should be properly planned in the most scientific way, and still I would think ten times before attempting it.

As for the end of the world coming soon, well :D :lol: I guess this is all I have to say, fortunately :D

PS Wait, actually I just remembered seeing some piece of tv program some time ago, where they talked about some huge asteroid heading for Earth, so you may be right after all. However, I remember everybody in that program seemed to be really excited and sort of looking forward to it, like if it was a really cool kind of event. And I must say it is, indeed, only not so pleasant in its final effects :D

itchy

I think it might be kind of natural for people to think that the end of the world will come in their generation...I think people almost want to see it, so they feel special maybe...I dunno...but I guess every generation could come up with a list of signs that leads them to believe that the apocolypse will come in their lifetime, but there are quite a few interesting ones in our generation....in revelation in the bible before a lot of the events can occur they require there to be a nation of Israel reformed and a holy temple built...well there's no temple yet but Israel was reformed in 1948 so the pieces are almost in place. Also I find it interesting that several big topics seem like they may all reach critical point between about 2020-2050...things like global warming and energy resources like coal and oil running out...and also there's that singularity theory, like in the matrix, which may be a little more unlikely but the growth of artificial intelligence is on an exponential curve heading for critical point around 2020-2050 also...

But personally I think we'll all be safe for a coupla decades yet...at least...one thing to look out for though is if the government tries to put some kind of mark on our right hand or forehead so that we can trade [revelation 13:16-18]...I think if that happened then I'd shit me pants...but otherwise I think we're cool!

p.s. oh, and if the temple is rebuilt in Israel...that'd be interesting.

cLavain

itchy said:
...and also there's that singularity theory, like in the matrix, which may be a little more unlikely but the growth of artificial intelligence is on an exponential curve heading for critical point around 2020-2050 also...
Just wondering, have you read Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines"?

One minor correction: It's the computational power of computers that are increasing exponentially, not AI. There's an ocean of difference. My PC is still as dumb now as it was a decade ago, but it is faster...

Danfalc

Banned
I personaly think we will die out before the world ends .. but i guess that is the end of the world for us :? .Sorry not got much to add 2 this convo but thought i would just mention that.

brownbag

the end of the world.

dzerklis said:
i dunno about the end of the world but were gonna get flooded here in baltics sooner or later damn!

wher's baltics and latvia located? never heard of them man.
and i hope things go alright for you and your people there with the flood.

liveNscared said:
People with sp/sa seem to be more intuitive people and if some of us were leaders, humanity would be all the better. But it is hard to become a leader with sp/sa.

If I had to make the choice, though, I would choose the one that gave me a fighting chance - or one of escape.

I would like to say don't worry but I have been worrying about this same thing more and more lately.

1. totally agree dude.

2. what do u mean one that gave u a fighting chance or one of escape? meaning to escape from having sa or to have a fighting chance against the end of the world and to simply survive?

3. you've been worrying bout the world just ending in general, or with your focus only on one of the things such as the bird flu or natural disasters as the cause of the end of the world?

Septor said:
I don't want to see the world end but if it had to, it would be better if it all ended at once, rather than slow agonizing death. But the slow agonizing death is more likely if there ever was an apocalypse.

Hah! yeaa mann.. it would be better if it could just get over and be done within 1 shot haha.. - *Boom*..*disappear~~~
but i'd agree, it's probly going to be the slow and agonizing option.

cLavain said:
The end is nigh, you say? Get in line, mate!

Certain religious fanatics do seem hell-bent (no pun intended) on destroying the world as soon as possible.

1. oh so you're one of those who would enjoy the end of the world or the coming of it?

2.Which religious fanatics are hell-bent on destroying the world?? hmm.. :wink:
i suppose you're referrin to cults? :roll:

Quixote said:
It's odd how you talk about terminal diseases like cancer as if they were a convenient way to put an end to your life. Do you realize how much suffering they involve?

A suic*de should be properly planned in the most scientific way,

PS Wait, actually I just remembered seeing some piece of tv program some time ago, where they talked about some huge asteroid heading for Earth, so you may be right after all. However, I remember everybody in that program seemed to be really excited and sort of looking forward to it, like if it was a really cool kind of event.

1. First of all, i wasn't pinpointing at cancer or any one main terminal disease. Was just giving an example. Hey don't get me wrong, by no means was i trying to say that it was a convenient way. And of course i do understand that there is a tremendous amount suffering and feelings of loss in such a situation.
BUT my point was, the notion of knowing that you have a limited number of days to live, and the idea of it, compared to perishing from the end of the world - and not about what you were suffering from whatsoever.

2. i disagree

3. oh i saw a show too and yea hah! the people featured in the show seemed to be looking forward to it.. that was kinda strange.. lol :lol:

Zosima said:
The World will end in 18 days time, when the date will be:

6/6/6

See you all in Hell.

booya

itchy said:
in revelation in the bible before a lot of the events can occur they require there to be a nation of Israel reformed and a holy temple built...well there's no temple yet but Israel was reformed in 1948 so the pieces are almost in place.

Also I find it interesting that several big topics seem like they may all reach critical point between about 2020-2050...things like global warming and energy resources like coal and oil running out...

and also there's that singularity theory, like in the matrix, which may be a little more unlikely but the growth of artificial intelligence is on an exponential curve heading for critical point around 2020-2050 also...

the government tries to put some kind of mark on our right hand or forehead so that we can trade [revelation 13:16-18]...I think if that happened then I'd shit me pants

1. oh really?? i didn't know you needed the nation to be reformed and a temple built b4 any event can occur, as you said the Bible tells.

2. i think so too.

3. how does this AI (or computational power of computers as cLavain mentioned in a later post) on an exponential curve heading for critical point affect us?? hmmm.. :roll:

4. yea if the government tried to put some mark on our forehead or right hand, that Would be scary.
wouldn't be looking forward to you shitting in your pants though :eek:

cLavain said:
have you read Ray Kurzweil's "The Age of Spiritual Machines"?

woah.. what's this book about? urm.. age of spiritual machines .. urm..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:D thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions
same to the later replies

cLavain

Re: the end of the world.

brownbag said:
1. oh so you're one of those who would enjoy the end of the world or the coming of it?
No, I mean that people have predicted the end of the world many many many times before. It's still here, though...

brownbag said:
2.Which religious fanatics are hell-bent on destroying the world?? hmm.. :wink:
i suppose you're referrin to cults? :roll:
Posssibly. I'm also referring to people looking forward to the Rapture, for example.
http://www.godonthe.net/evidence/rapture.htm

Why care about things like the environment or wars when Armageddon is near?

brownbag said:
3. how does this AI (or computational power of computers as cLavain mentioned in a later post) on an exponential curve heading for critical point affect us?? hmmm.. :roll:
Wikipedia said:
In futures studies, a technological singularity represents an "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development past which present models of the future cease to give reliable or accurate answers, following the creation of strong artificial intelligence or the amplification of human intelligence. Futurists predict that after the Singularity, humans as they exist presently will cease to be the dominating force in scientific and technological progress, replaced with posthumans, strong AI, or both, and therefore all models of change based on past trends in human behavior will be obsolete.
It's not about the end of the world, but a shift to a post-human society, but there is no way to predict what such a society would look like. What place is there for "old-fashioned" biological humans in a world controlled by hyper-intelligent entities? Yeah, it's just speculation, but it's always fun to speculate! :)

brownbag

Re: the end of the world.

liveNscared said:
but they should not be of major concern if mankinds priorities were from compassion and not utter greed and selfishness.

From my viewpoint, the world will not end. Mankind might destroy himself, but the Earth will go on orbiting the sun. And life itself will survive on this planet - just not the human kind.

On another note: I wonder why Art Bell really left the US for the Philippines?

1. yea, but sadly there is alot of greed and selfishness in the world today

hiding said:
Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe.

http://qntm.org/destroy

2. Yea that's what i'm referrin to as well, as the end of the world - As in not specifically destroying Earth itself (the entirety of it's matter), but mankind wiping out entirely.
Which also goes in replying to what 'Hiding' had mentioned.

3. Who's Art Bell ?? and what's with this leaving from the US for the Philippines?

renegade

Zosima said:

6/6/6

See you all in Hell.
:twisted: 8O :twisted:

I want font seat tickets :lol:

But I prefer heaven though.

Let the nuclear war begin. God I must be getting really crazy here...

socratic

Zosima said:

6/6/6

See you all in Hell.
:twisted: 8O :twisted:

Damn, i wont get to see the new omen film. Anyone know the exact time? i might be able to make it to the early showing.

Within the next 100 years there will be lot of deaths, but this is due to the industrialisation of europe and america. Ive been studying energy supply and environmental consequences for 3 years now at college. Global warming has started a chain reaction that cant be stopped. The fact is we are a destructive species that is more concerned with money and power than sustaining our home and thats what will kill 90 some % of life on earth. 1984, 1 million people die in africa and another 50 million are affected by a 20 year drought caused by carbon dioxide from europe and america. Its about to get a whole lot worst.

itchy

brownbag said:
1. oh really?? i didn't know you needed the nation to be reformed and a temple built b4 any event can occur, as you said the Bible tells.
1. yeah, I think so....there a things in revelation, and other endtime prophecies in the bible, that involve Israel and the holy temple, but without a nation of Israel or a temple none of these things can happen. Things like the "antichrist" setting up a wing and putting an end to sacrificies in the temple or something like that!

There's a coupla other endtime prophecies that couldn't have happened any other time in history until now...one is that Jesus said the gospel will be preached to all nations in the whole world and then the end will come, which, before the invention of modern communication technologies, this wasn't really feasible...people had to spread the gospel by foot...now there's the internet so it's a much greater possibility now.

Also jesus said "if those days had not been cut short, no-one would have survived", refering to the apocalypse...which means this apocalyptic war must be one so devastating that the entire world population could be wiped out, which in the past wasn't really possible, but now with nuclear weapons and stuff it's a much greater possibility.
brownbag said:
3. how does this AI (or computational power of computers as cLavain mentioned in a later post) on an exponential curve heading for critical point affect us?? hmmm..
3. well the theory is that the computational power of computers is increasing so much that at some point it will surpass human intelligence, and some people reckon that if a human intelligence can create something greater than itself, then surely this new intelligence can do the same...thus, the fear is that there'll be an intelligence explosion and humans will be left far behind....personally I'm a little skeptical...I think its a bit far fetched...but it's still interesting that the curve of the graph points towards the same critical point of 2020-2050.

brownbag

how does the ending go..

itchy said:
Things like the "antichrist" setting up a wing and putting an end to sacrificies in the temple or something like that!

hmm that's interesting.. if he's supposedly suppose to be so "powerful"..
i wonder why the "antichrist" has to set up a Wing or so, instead of just attacking the Earth in 1 strike.

itchy said:
one is that Jesus said the gospel will be preached to all nations in the whole world and then the end will come, which, before the invention of modern communication technologies, this wasn't really feasible...people had to spread the gospel by foot...now there's the internet so it's a much greater possibility now.

this one seems to come to play under the idea that everyone read and knew the gospels, and not everyone is interested in actually reading it, or the very least even trying to find out about it.

Unless there was to be an incomprehensible event that took place in the present moment, or in time to come, that caught the entire world by surprise; making every sane and physically capable person turn to the gospels via the internet or the Bible or wherever they could get to it within a measured timeframe - which may be required before the end of the world began.. according to the above quoted sentence mentioned.

or it could also be everyone trying to find out about the gospels on the very same day itself. this seems rather in a way, connecting all minds universally.

itchy said:
Also jesus said "if those days had not been cut short, no-one would have survived", refering to the apocalypse...which means this apocalyptic war must be one so devastating that the entire world population could be wiped out, which in the past wasn't really possible, but now with nuclear weapons and stuff it's a much greater possibility.

now that would be... scary.

brownbag

cats? related to the world ending?

erm... why would a cat worry about dying when it has 9 lives? :lol:

which kinda explains the 'could-care-less' "oh well :evil: "...oooo