the dreaded job interview..HELP!

beckiboo

Hi all, I havent been on here for a while, ive stopped doing ion treatments for a while as I find it works better if I take breaks from it.
I have been a waitress since I was 17, when my HH was practically non-existant and I didnt even know it was a condition that anyone else had.
Im now 24 and ive been applying for new jobs different from what im been doing all my sad pathetic life..you know im sick of being such a loser!!
so ive been called back for an interview for this one job at a veterinary practice as a receptionist..nothing to get too excited about but I do love animals and thought it would be a good opportunity to start changing my life...

im bricking it about the interview as you can all imagine..really mentally going through what its going to be like giving the soaking wet handshake and totaly ruining my first impression and chance to make my life a little bit more bearable..I feel like if I dont get this job I dont know what im going to do!! I just cant go on as I am.

I know I could probably make a good impression personality-wize and ive got loads of ideas of what to say and ask....its just the handshake!!

any help or ideas?? please?!! :confused:

mrb

well stop worring about it girl ....... your just winding yourself up , just dont shake hands just smile and say hi and sit down ...... thats what id do .... i mean you dont have to shake hands do you ?

Alchemy

Try not worry too much, most people feel anxious going to interviews and its completely natural to perspire to some degree, they will understand, you sound enthusiastic and I'm sure your personality will shine through. Best of luck!

mrb

or you could say if you do have to shake hands .... and there a bit sweaty .. sorry but im just a little nervous .... im sure they will understand, lots of people worry about job interviews ... as alchemy said im sure your personality with shine through , you sound very keen .... and you have lots ideas about what so say .. you know what , i think you will get the job lol ;)

beckiboo

Haha yeah I am getting totaly worked up lol! its so bad! *cringe* but I want this SO much!

I thought the handshake was like a mandatory thing you know?! your way sounds like the perfect solution..unless they reach out at you..it would be rude to leave them hanging wouldnt it lolz!? have you got jobs yourself doing it the non-handshake way? I suppose a non-handshake wouldnt be as memorable as a wet one lol!
do people without HH get sweaty hands for stuff like interviews? maybe they would just put it down to nerves if I did have to go for it?

strange isnt it how the simplest thing can make your life hell...thanks for the quick reply btw =)

mrb

yea i dont shake hands lol iv had lots of diff jobs ... i just say hi and quickly sit down .. and yes just say if there sweaty sorry im just a little nervous ... you have no idea how much i want this job .... if i was giving the interview id say really ? stuff the interview girl ...... your hired :D:D:D:D

arsenalwa

yea i dont shake hands lol iv had lots of diff jobs ... i just say hi and quickly sit down .. and yes just say if there sweaty sorry im just a little nervous ... you have no idea how much i want this job .... if i was giving the interview id say really ? stuff the interview girl ...... your hired :D:D:D:D

lol absolutely.

T!GER

You can turn up with a bandage wrapped around your hand and say that you had been bitten by an animal you were rescuing. That way you don't have to shake hands and it will be points to you in the interview.

beckiboo

mrb: I might quote you on that one!!

thanks for the ideas guys :) and for making me laugh about this instead of going out of my mind worrying lol ill let you know how it goes..the interview is next Tuesday :)

beckiboo

So I thought i'd update those of you who offered help with the job interview I had yesterday. It went better than expected in some ways, and although a bit fumbled and flustered my personality might have glimmered through the nerves to impress them enough to ring me back today asking if it was ok to ring my current employer for a reference as they'd like to offer me the job!!!!! :) :)
Im really thrilled but..heres where it gets interesting, my boss had a meeting today and I got got pulled in the office when the managers all dispersed after said meeting. I didnt know what to expect, he explained to me that they valued me as an employee and didnt want me to leave!! they offered to put me on a higher FIXED salary (one of the reasons for me wanting to leave was the high/low season changes in money I was taking home) so no more winter pay cuts..a steady job.

obviously, this is a spanner in the works and I now have a very big decision on my hands (lol)
do I stay where I am? the money works out more than the vet job but my hearts not so into it?-although waitressing is a job that im comfortable with my HH in. and there will be courses available to progress into management.
The new job will not have the same 'freedom' to go hide for a second if they get too bad. Im worried it might seem like a better job but I will hate it because of my HH. Its also a very 'grown up' job. Serious as these are people's pets. My current job is high stress, lots of laughs and mucking around..and I do enjoy it!

argh just babbling on here going round in circles! :( sorry for the random-ness but im so happy that this all happened despite my HH, but worried about which path to take now!
thanks to everyone who believed I could do it! :)

Damien27

so i see that you already had your interview so this advice might be a little late. but i have a couple of ideas for what things have worked for me in the past.

first things is that i would have like a bundle of paper towels or tissues in my right pocket. that way if things got out of hand, i would just try to dry my right hand off a little bu sticking it in my pocket.

second i would have a folder in my hand (like a manilla envelope or something) that i would put my resume and other stuff i would have to had to the employer. and if my hand started to sweat a lot i would use the folder to kind of subtly fan my right hand. and i found that worked pretty well. and i mean it's not too out of the ordinary to have an envelop in your hand

third i would wash my hands under really cold water right before i knew i was about to go into the interview. like if i was waiting in a lobby, i would just run to the bathroom and run my hands under cold water. that helped a little too.

none of these were perfect solutions. but i think they all kind of helped a lot, at least with not dreading things so much. but i really wish that i had tried to get HH under control sooner. i mean i have it pretty much under control now. but i mean think the right combinations of treatements really can be very effect. and if they don't eleminate the problem, they can at least help out a lot. i feel like i got a lot better at interviews when i got it under control.

beckiboo

I decided to take the receptionist job after all! Im so happy! just goes to show even with HH you can go and get what you want if you try..I had to shake hands twice, once at thebegining and at the end and both time they were soaked and still got it!!

margiehope

Good on you! Nothing wrong with being a waitress, but it's less likely to lead on to other things. Keep us posted.

beckiboo

thanks, I had been a waitress for 7 years and was wondering what else was out there! it was a great job, especially with HH, easy to hide it ;) this new job is more what I want to do but as I said in a thread I just wrote, its harder with HH! ;)