The 'Alien' therapy!

LilMissTragic

I was doing an online confidence course the other day and this one bit made me laugh. I did however try it and weirdly it does work....so long as you stay aware of what it is your doing. This is gonna sound mad, anyways, what ya supposed to do is stand up, take some deep breaths. Imagine that you are from another planet and that you have come to earth to make someones life as fulfilled and as happy as possible. Now, imagine yourself in front of you, then, on the count of three (you being the alien), jump into your body (the one in front of you). You now have control of this human and you have to keep it happy. You can do what you like now, considering your only borrowing this body.
Does that make sense?
Anyways, I tried it and it did sorta work until I sorta forgot about it...lol.

KingOfToast

I think this is a great idea. If your "job" is to keep you happy, you'd be more likely to turn from a lot of the negative things your mind tends to focus in on, which is a huge part of dealing with social anxiety. And, evidently, it works! Thanks for the post

Chilling__Echo

lol....

ok i'm still laughing...

but really, all in all it kind of a neat idea... i try and think of my body as something to treat like i'd want to treat my *soul* (ooo that's corny but somehow it's easy to say something corny next to this treatment). so i guess it makes sense.

GettingThere

I tried it but the authorities took me off to some secret location (they called it something like area 51) where some scientists probed me.

Actually it does sound like a good idea although I don't know why they just didn't say someone from another country (for instance).

black_mamba

Wow this is a wonderful exercise.

It reminds me of my thought patterns when I try to consciously tell myself to stay positive. I feel that its my duty to have a good life otherwise the person who lays in bed at night worrying about it won't be happy - that person is me. :p

edit: I just tried it on a class mate who was visiting me in my flat. We were alone together and I felt a tad akward (normally my partner happily fills the silences with his inane chatter). But yeah, I pretended to be an out-of-body alien who borrowed my body, and I started getting far more chatty; asking questions I was genuinely curious about. I even asked my friend if he also found it difficult finding things to say to people, so I became comfortable about talking about my discomfort. :wink: