Thats a good point..... Ever doubt your intelligence?

Nadine333

Hey people,

Thats a good point, I have just been reading someones entry and wonder do any of you, or have any of you doubted your own intelligence because of social phobia???

Faded

Nadine333 said:
Hey people,

Thats a good point, I have just been reading someones entry and wonder do any of you, or have any of you doubted your own intelligence because of social phobia???

I do! :oops:
its a long story to start! shortly, its about being criticized cuz of your good qualities logically n' morally .. then doubting all the good out of you!
I've had a bad experience tht lead to this afflict of doubt, bad experience = SP !
Urrgh ! as i said its a long story!!!

Nvenya

Hellraising said:
What has intelligence got to do with SA?

Lack of self confidence and self worth perhaps? I doubt many things about myself but there are two things I have never doubted - That I'm intelligent and that I have a fabulous singing voice. :wink:

LittleMissScareAll

I definitely don't think I'm very smart when it comes to book work and stuff...which is one reason I never even attempted to go to college or anything. Even as a kid I said I'd never go to college. I figured I'm too stupid and I couldn't pass anyway, so why waste my time & money? I also didn't want to go to college due to my social phobia though. :oops: School was horrible enough. I really don't need to go through that again. My mom told me about these home classes you can take on the internet at a nearby college, which wouldn't be bad except I still figured I'm too dumb to pass. Actually I MIGHT do ok in everything except math. I don't know...in school math was the only thing I had trouble with, but I had ALOT of trouble with it, which always caused me to get bad grades in math in high school(until I started homeschool) because I was too scared to ask for help. If I could get through college though, I would like to be a mortician. Does anyone here know if going to be a mortician requires alot of math? :oops:

Angie_05

grumblina said:
I absolutely have doubted my intelligence! Logically I know that I have a very high IQ and I always got good grades in school, smart as a whip I've been told. However, I often feel just like a total, blithering, idiot when I talk to people at work or in positions of authority. When you think people are judging you, negatively at that, there is an inherent connection that follows that they must in fact know more than you to be able to be in a position to judge you. It's untrue I know but it's in my head none the less.

I'm the same way. People ask me if I'm smart because of my accomplishments in school, and I say that it doesn't really matter. Sometimes I feel stupid for having irrational fears. And sometimes I do feel inferior to "important" people. But overall I do think I am intelligent because I can take my life experiences and learn from them. Some people, on the other hand, are narrow-minded and make the same mistakes over and over.

FaymeLevy

All the time. That was one of the things they really focused on when I was in group therapy. I always think i'm stupid even though my test scores always showed differently.

sensitive

Hellraising said:
What has intelligence got to do with SA?

yes, what has intelligence got to do with SA? i don't think so honey. guys i am surprised (also upset) to hear this, who said we are intelligent? is that because we have SA 8O , absolutely untrue. i believe we are the most intelligent, sensitive, warm people on the earth (unlike those stupid people, no offence) so let's never ever question our intelligent or feelings.

black_mamba

Doesn't the word intelligence has a fuzzy definition?

If we're taking about emotional intelligence here then we're right up there with the best. Our abilities to empathise and understand other people's emotions is so effective because we over analyse every emotion we come across - thats the nature of social anxiety.

But general academic intelligence; well that varies from person to person SP aside. Although, I'd put my money on social phobics being slightly higher than average in IQ tests. :wink:

LittleMissScareAll said:
Does anyone here know if going to be a mortician requires alot of math?

Probably not, but then again you may have to do body counts. :p

sheree

Yes i doubt myself all the time , i had a interview erm last Monday for a pet shopdid i go..no because i didn't think i was clever enough and would have nothing to say and all the usual worries we have
:oops:

Sue

i used to doubt my intellegence in the school. i always listened in class but never did homework. all my friends could study and seemed to be so much more clever then me so i never tried. i could never concentrate when i was at home.

everyone seemed smarter then i was in school but now that im not in school i realise how smart i can be.
i was always intellegent socialy. i could see through anyone and that helps alot. i dont let anyone walk all over me now.

my life is alot more peaceful :D

Hastur

black_mamba said:
I'd put my money on social phobics being slightly higher than average in IQ tests. :wink:

In an IQ test, I would probably fail.

Seriously though, sometimes I wish I could get a minor lobotomy or something, as though not knowing the state I am in would be an improvement (it probably wouldn't though...)

Lost_Nomad

feeling dumb and intelligence are two different things. I doult myself even if i know iam right. when every one thinks what you say is dump it doesn't matter if your right.

jesuschristschild

grumblina said:
I absolutely have doubted my intelligence! Logically I know that I have a very high IQ and I always got good grades in school, smart as a whip I've been told. However, I often feel just like a total, blithering, idiot when I talk to people at work or in positions of authority. When you think people are judging you, negatively at that, there is an inherent connection that follows that they must in fact know more than you to be able to be in a position to judge you. It's untrue I know but it's in my head none the less.

yeah i used to do that too, used to say things that were stupid because my mind was on the judgement as opposed to what i was saying, then i would end up looking stupid, so id once in a while classify myself as that, but id always come back to the realization that im quite intellegent, not all the times, but as much as i need ta be :)

much love