talking to babies/kids

CheshireCat

I thought I'd bring this up because my best friend just had one. I'm the godmother!! I'm so happy to be an aunt....but at the same point I'm nervous. I'm not good with babies. I think they are so cute but I'm scared to hold them, and even make baby sounds at them etc. I'm going over her house with my b/f tonight and I know that I'm going to hold her...I will have trouble saying yes but she's my niece...my first niece and my best friends first born. It's exciting but I'm so embarrassed holding a baby and seeing a baby. Anyone have trouble with this? It happens to me even with kids. When their around it's hard to talk to them...like my friends kids and stuff...and even my cousins (that I hardly see, but when I do what do you say) It's funny how you as an adult could be more scared talking to kids than they are to you. I wonder sometimes if I could have kids of my own.

SocialButterSlip

IcarusUnderWater2 said:
do not worry. If you are unsure about anything just ask the baby's mother!! All the baby wants to do is see your face and for you to smile!! Sit down on a couch and hold her/him. That way it's impossible to drop her/him, Your instincts will kick in im sure!! :D I wish i had a BABEH!!!

just hold the baby look at the baby and smile and make funny faces, I do it all the time to unsuspecting mothers when they hold their babies to my direction and I start to make them laugh or smile the babies that is.

tool1919

I was in the exact same position a few weeks ago. My brother who i haven't seen for years came back home from overseas with his wife and baby (my only niece) and i was pretty anxious about what to do and didn't really want to hold her. But once you just do it for the first time the baby just looks at you and you just smile and make a few weird faces and it's all good.